Any and ALL trackers appear "offline (timed out) ALL the time.

MX1CAN

Make sure you have backups of everything before removing/uninstalling them.

Antivirus because it has network-modifying firewalls.

Other file-sharing programs...

Any Browser Helper Objects.

Media Players?

Make sure your router can block other ports and/or enable Windows XP/Vista firewall while you test this. :P

Uninstalling+reinstalling your networking drivers probably wouldn't hurt.

Not trying to sound like an ass here but if you would have read my posts you would have known that I've uninstalled my antivirus, all my other file-sharing programs, and I didn't mention this but I don't use IE so there are no Browser Helper Objects on my computer. Also a media player would not cause this and the only one I have installed is WMP 11.

Also I've said that I don't have a router so that's a no go either.

I'm off to format and install a more stable XP. I'll re-download and install uTorrent and then tell you guys how it went.

What would I test anyway? To see if my connection is the one blocking the torrents and not my computer?

Yes, precisely that. Reinstalling Windows runs a close second when it comes to usefulness in testing, if only because it doesn't rule out possible hardware issues if you simply reinstall Windows -- but that's hardly probable anyhow, so good enough :P It's definitely worth a try.

Thanks for sticking around to troubleshoot without flying off the handle, despite how annoyed you must undoubtedly be feeling. I know I would be increasingly impatient if I were on the receiving end of the problem, and many other users would have given up by now... (Your situation really is baffling, as we've seemingly made no headway despite the fact that I've suggested almost everything I could think of by now)

Ok after going through 2 formats and installing 2 different versions of XP I'm still not able to download with uTorrent. So I guess this means we've narrowed it down to my connection or isp. I've been told by my customer support people (who are very ignorant) that they do not block bittorrent traffic so I don't know what to believe anymore.

I want to say thanks to all those that tried to help and I want to wish you all good luck with future problems. I guess if no one else has any suggestions then I'm going to give up for good :(

It's been a good run! :)

@Ultima: Tor didn't help at all and I did something out of desperation :P

I downloaded and tried another client which I won't mention for obvious reasons and it worked fine without even messing with any of the settings. I don't know why utorrent simply refuses to work for me.

I didn't think that ISP's could block torrent clients but for some reason it seems like this is the case here. That's just my theory but I don't think it's right.

Can you guys shed some light on whether isps can do that? Also I'm more than happy to hear some more suggestions as I really like uTorrent and I want it to work :)

No it's not Deluge. It's a lightweight program much like utorrent and it's in it's initial stages of development. It's stable and has a simple gui. Anyway it's called Halite (feel free to remove the name after reading it :)) and so far it's working perfectly downloading from both public trackers and private ones and also trackers such as open office.

Also I know that I said that I had tried other clients in my first post but that was before formatting. Since I formatted twice this time I thought that maybe I should give another client a shot so I did :P

Halite and Deluge, for whatever the reason, are sometimes able to get around EXTREME BitTorrent throttling/crippling/disrupting when nothing else does.

In theory, since uTorrent uses the same encryption as they do, uTorrent should work too.

But tracker traffic is in the clear (unencrypted.)

We don't mind the mentioning of other clients here, so there's no reason to censor you in any way :P

It is, indeed, odd that Halite would work differently than µTorrent -- seems reminiscent of the times when Deluge would work well where µTorrent wouldn't. Can you try a VPN service with µTorrent to potentially (though maybe not completely) rule out ISP interference? VPN masks the packets and patterns in such a way that ISPs shouldn't be able to distinguish between real traffic and just plain ol' noise.

Possible problems verifying this "discrepancy"... Does Deluge have a new version out or not? I see 1.0.4 peers but nothing in the changelog or website ... even "nightly" is from June.

Edit: Apologies I saw the SAME deluge peer in three swarms. So I only saw 1 peer. I guess it's possible it's a spoofed ID??

@MX1CAN: That's a bit more difficult for me to explain, since I've never used a VPN. Unfortunately, VPNs are generally not free (though some may offer free trials).

To take things in a different direction... Can you get Wireshark and capture/log the µTorrent packets when it's not working, then capture/log the Halite packets when it does, compress the logs, upload them to mediafire.com or savefile.com, then post the links to the logs here? A few minutes of logging should be fine.

@Ultima: Sorry I'm getting back to this thread so late but my ISP went down for a few days and it's just now back up. I will definitely try that and I will edit my post with the links :)

Edit: Here are the Wireshark Logs. I wasn't sure how to save the logs to a text file (or if there was even an option so I just saved the logs to a wireshark file.

More info is in the zip file which I used winrar to compress:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtism51rjoi

Archived