µTorrent downloading unselected files! padding files

Yehhanyos2008

Hi everyone, i'm downloading a torrent that has a lot of "padding files" and i knew that they have something to do with Bitcomet, and hence i've unselected them (priority = skip).

But now i found that µTorrent has downloaded them, and i can't even see them in the download location.

I know it's not a big deal, but i'm just curious, how did µTorrent download them? and are they important anyhow to be downloaded for non-Bitcomet users?

Thanks in advance.

@Ultima That's great explanation m8!! THANKS :)

But, while on topic, and since µTorrent (clients in general) is responsible for creating the .torrent files, and in my particular case the torrent has 7702 pieces (each pieces = 1 MB) and the average size of those 45 padding files is ~700 KB (totalling ~20 MB)

Why wouldn't µTorrent collect those padding files together in e.g 20 pieces whilst creating the .torrent? so they would be easily avoided

Or does a torrent has those padding files means that it was created by Bitcomet ?

*Sorry for the stupid question*

µTorrent doesn't create torrents with padding files; BitComet does. The rationale behind padding files is that it sorta decouples files and pieces so that there are no longer any cross-file pieces (pieces that would otherwise get shared by multiple files get padded until the next file starts on a new piece). That's why padding files can't be collected into consecutive pieces -- it would completely defeat the purpose.

Archived