Opening ports - any help appreciated!

Flicker455

Hey there.

I'll get straight to the point. Supposedly my ports are closed and it's limiting the torrent download speed, in which case I'd very much like to open them. I've had a look at several guides, but at each and every one of them I've hit a bump in the road. I reckon my main issue would be having something called Radionet, or whatever. As said I've tried numerous guides but have only been able to follow them for so long, granted I've got a different type of internet. (Or so I think.) So in other words I'd be very appreciative if someone would take the time and help me out.

You'res sincerely, Flicker.

Technically speaking being firewalled does not lower your maximum download speed. The test torrents including http://slackware.com/torrents/ is a proof of that. They work just as well firewalled or not.

Searching for radionet isp doesn't hit, but it sounds like you're using either satellite or microwave signals to get internet. In this case it's usually behind their NAT which you can verify by finding the WAN or "external" IP on their equpment in the status/setup page. It will likely be in one of the private ranges... 10.x.x.x 172.16-31.x.x or 192.168.x.x

When the external IP you see does not match http://whatismyipaddress.com or analog, it is proof in at least you're not directly connected to the net, and in that case likely won't be able to forward your port. It's POSSIBLE trying UPnP / NAT-PMP may work however I wouldn't bet on it. In this case you don't have much else to configure as long as your settings are correct for your speed. One caveat to note, wireless signals are inherently less stable than a physical connection so you really shouldn't use the "full" numbers others use for the same speed upload. Additionally it's VERY likely the ISP has a AUP / FUP regarding usage of their line. If not, you may get a (not-so)nice phone call after several days of "heavy" usage... they don't like upload much. In that case, you can try to ask them when you can use your sync-ing software or what limits you can place to not cause other users trouble, but that it would take a day or two to setup your software configuration to do so.

You're right - and sorry about the confusion, by radionet I mean the type of internet I've got, not the name of my ISP. (My ISP is http://www.directconnect.no/index.php?id=45) Anywho, I reckon I'm stuck with my ports closed. A question though, you mentioned something about AUP/FUP, care to elaborate? You see, once we were able to get net at where I live, this guy nextdoor used a bit more of the connection than he paid for and had a pretty unpleasant visit by our ISP - he got off with a warning though. The bastard. :)

Yeah acceptable/fair use policies are generally rigorously enforced... wireless ISPs I gather have a VERY low profit margin since they rent infrastructure all along the chain from towers to bandwidth to equipment.

As long as their guidelines are spelled out... you should be able to work within them. A prime example would be "hughesnet"... the service is "slow" compared to mainstream broadband but they put ALL the cards on the table.. this is your limit, go over it and pay the price. Surely it's comparable to low-quota ISPs like the monopolies in AUS however, the fact they make easy-to-use bitrate data available... Many people have no concept about GiB.. what is a GiB?? In truth generally speaking 1 hour of streaming data can be as much as .5-.75 GiB of data from a provider.

Archived