Weird issue

Sinbios

I guess this is sort of a speed issue, but I don't think it really has to do with my connection.

Here's what happens:

speed.jpg

As you can see there are weird spikes in upload speed, well past the limit, with dips in the download speed that correspond to the upload spikes. I tried a few different versions of uTorrent, with not much success.

Has anyone see anything like this before?

moogly: I use Sympatico DSL, I think they do throttle p2p traffic. I route my torrent traffic through a ssh tunnel though, and speeds are a lot higher when I do so. I don't think the sawtooth upload thing is related to the ssh tunnel, since the same thing happens when it's not tunnelled. I'm using the Vista firewall, router is WRT54G with Tomato, using uT 1.8.1.

Ultima: I'll try lowering the connections and check the other settings and see if it helps.

Another thing I've noted is everything is perfectly fine when it first starts - the download speed is high and the upload speed sticks nicely to the limit line. But after a few minutes the upload speed spikes and start oscillating in the sawtooth pattern, and the download speed crashes along with it.

Yes, the sawtooth pattern often occurs after your connection gets overloaded. When it overloads, download rates will drop because µTorrent can no longer get the ACK(nowledgement) packets out to tell the peers that you received the last packet, and to send the next chunk of data along to you (so you won't have anything left to download until µTorrent finally manages to send the ACK out).

Archived