Pause All Torrents and Still Getting D:10KBP/s U:10KB/s Why?

dannodotcomm

Alt-H-S = 57 connections when active, when pause all - 44 connections

Not sure what you are wanting to see when I do F7, but when I'm in "pause all" status, I do have some activity in the DL UL columns, but they are random and very low (less than 1KB/s) and do not add up to the total showing on the speed graph or in the title bar on the top. As I said in first post, this only started happening with the latest version/build, prior to that, when I paused all, there was virtually NO activity, DL and UL were ZERO, or very close to zero, certainly never more than 1KB/s.

Torrents Running:

All (100)

Downloading (0)

Completed (100)

Active (11)

Inactive (89)

Another thing that is a bit strange with this new release, I have my upload restricted to 25KB/s using the scheduler, BUT my upload rate is varying between 31-34KB/s, AND even though I an NOT downloading anything, I still have a download rate of ~9KB/s. Previously my upload rate would match exactly what I had it set to (25KB/s), and if I wasn't downloading anything then my DL rate would be zero, or very close to it, not more than 1KB/s at any rate.

Unless the halfopen is set high, that shouldn't affect YOUR end right... they can attempt all they want, but uT doesn't accept it so it's a blocked connection. Now if you're using monitoring tools OUTSIDE uT, it's possible surely to make bandwidth with other types of requests... aka SYN flood or DoS attacks.

So to clarify the situation, you have 11 torrents running, they use your bandwidth. Pause them and still see both down AND up-load, STOP them and the bandwidth disappears?

I have 9 seeding and STOPPED them all, and YES, upload and download are both less than 1KB/s. Thankyou for that suggestion! So obviously PAUSE all torrents doesn't stop all activity like it used to. So now if I want to stop all activity I will have to STOP ALL TORRENTS??

Dan

Edit: But this still doesn't explain why utorrent doesn't conform to the upload speed restriction (25KB/s) I set, it runs closer to 33KB/s, if I set it to 20KB/s it will do 25 etc.

It was NOT enabled, I enabled it and restarted uTorrent, and now it shows net.calc_overhead *true

Not sure what this does, but I assume it calculates the overhead part of the bandwidth and produces a result somewhere? At any rate, the change did not make any difference. Does the * beside TRUE mean this is NOT the normal state for this option?

Could my Connection/Bandwidth/BitTorrent settings have something to do with this apparent "leakage".

Dan

"Did you enable net.calc_overhead?"

The manual explains it better, but, calc_overhead allows you/anyone/the end-user to select their EXACT/specified/theoretical maximum for the connection and the client will automatically scale down the upload limit based upon perspective bandwidth load due to up/down traffic.

Since it wasn't true before... look at the Speed tab for your upload now, see if /what happens to the upload you're putting out. "No difference" shouldn't happen. Either the upload will be more or less than before.

Yes, also according to the manual * means non-default.

As far as other possiblities for the leaking bandwidth.. unless you changed the queue.dont_count_slow_ul/dl_threshold from 1 KiBps there's not much else which will affect it. Changing that number will change otherwise "active" torrents to inactive to allow more torrents to use the bandwidth. The last idea I have is if you had thousands of torrents possibly scraping/updating ... which could add up to 10 KiBps sustained traffic, but it would need ALOT of them to make 10 packets per second 24/7.

Something is definitely wrong, I should not have this "leakage", I am going to do a complete uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes it. Will let you know what happens.

Regards,

Dan

Addendum: The above has been done, completely removed uTorrent from my computer (but kept all the torrents and their respective files) and then re-installed it and kept most of the settings on default. And low and behold uTorrent is now working perfectly, no leakage whatsoever. I set the upload to 38KB/s and it flatlines at exactly 38KB/s (give or take 0.1KB/s). AND when I Pause All Torrents there is almost ZERO (D:0.13KB/s U:0.45KB/s) data transfer up or down, just like it should be. Soooooo, I don't know what the problem was, but it is now fixed and I am happy!

Dan

Archived