New Version 1.4 Speed Issue

SanctimoniousApe

Thought I'd post this here as I rec'd no immediate response over on the new version announcement thread.

Have tried the "Speed Guide" feature, but am not really seeing the improvement. My old settings of 8 active torrents / 7 DL (max 30 connections per) got me DL speeds in the range of 150K-250K typically, but with the recommended 3 active /2 DL (max 80 connections per) I'm seeing maybe 60-90K. Granted for two torrents that's pretty reasonable, I suppose, but certainly not more efficient overall. My (crappy) ISP is Comcast and I appear to have something like 4Mbps/384Kbps. My old settings came about after much testing.

I used to use BitLord and get as high as 400K DL, but stopped when I read of BitComet's cheating - BL was supposedly an offshoot of BC (which I've never used) and there seemed to be some question about BL's fairness as well. While I of course would like to get the things I want as quickly as possible, I try to respect the community, too. I don't mind not getting speeds quite as high as I used to under BL in order to ensure fairness, but at the same time I don't want to have to wait 10x longer to get what I am after.

Suggestions? (Non-flame) Comments?

Thanks.

out of curiosity switch back to bitlord and look for peers who are seeding you a lot. note their ip and the number of requests you make.

then go back to utorrent and find those peers. are the requests still the same?

i find that utorrent really likes the magic number 2. bitcomet starts at 5 and incrementally goes up accordingly to available bandwith whereas rarely for me will utorrent go beyond a 2. sometimes i get lucky and find someone with 50+.

anyway, great client nonetheless. props to ludde

dznutz, the numbers you refer to is the minimum amount of data to request. These parameters can normally be changed within the original BT client but not within uTorrent. I requested such a feature but haven't gotten a proper response yet.

For the BitTorrent client, these settings are named:

--download_slice_size <arg>

How many bytes to query for per request. (defaults to 16384)

--max_slice_length <arg>

maximum length slice to send to peers, larger requests are ignored (defaults to 131072)

Faster connections would benefit from higher values, obviously.

Post your thoughts here for this specific feature:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=4273

ML

You don't need to use the speed guide, you can use your own settings if you want... :/

Ya, I did that, but after giving it another several hours it seems v1.4's speed limiter is hard-coded to a 3:1 ratio - I couldn't get above the 90K I mentioned, and in fact the average throughput dropped to 40-70K. I'm back on v1.3x until this is resolved.

This is indeed a nice client (been using it a couple of months now), but I'm not sure I like the direction Ludde's starting to go in - I can understand his intentions, but the introduction of these new built-in limitations seem a bit too inflexible and heavy-handed for my tastes...

dznutz - that's more hassle than I have time to bother with, sorry. I just wanted a nice, light-weight client that was easy to use and did what it was supposed to do (which is why I chose µTorrent after I found out about the BC controversy). I guess I may have to go searching about again if Ludde continues the Big Brother-style tactics of handling things. I feel that I am once again being reminded of why open source is a "good thing" .

the speed limiter ONLY applies to upload caps of 1-5, you guys don't seem to get this.

@Firon, I've just noticed something - it seems to me that the upload limiter does not work at all above the "famous" 6 !!!!! 5 works .

The setup:

V 1.4, Win98SE, one "active" torrent DLing with a limit of 6. Reference tool - DU meter. I might post this in the V1.4 thread with a screen-shot .

Can someone else confirm this with another reference tool . Maybe my DU meter is not setup correctly.

Side effects: all other Internet activities are VERY slow or with timeouts !!!

Edit:

DHT - was Enabled

SanctimoniousApe: my upload cap is usually 39 when downloading (sometimes I drop it to 30), and I haven't been getting speeds below 350 KB/s.

rafi: DHT on? 'Cause I capped mine to 6 and it stuck to the value pretty well. cFosSpeed showed slightly higher values sometimes but that's because it includes TCP overhead.

Out of curiousity, what are your other settings (max peers/torrent, UL slots/torrent, max active torrents, max DL torrents, global max DL rate, etc.)?

According to my calcs, 38K is probably the highest I could go ((384Kbps / 8 (bits in a Byte)) * 0.8 (subtract 20% for TCP/IP overhead) = 38.4KBps -- gee I coulda just divided by 10...) although even at 35Kbps (which was set by the new "Speed Guide") there is a very noticeable slow-down when browsing, so I drop it further at those times.

75, 4, 3, 3, 0 (I usually only run 1 torrent at a time but I have a few torrents that have very few/no leechers so I run them all at once).

Anyway, run the speed test and see what speeds you actually get, then set your upload cap accordingly. Many ISPs advertise a certain amount but in reality you don't even get close, even with TCP overhead.

The tcp overhead is supposed to be ~13%, but the values seem really wrong in my experience (too high). Namely because my upload cap is 463051 bits, which translates to 56.5 KB/s, so if the overhead really was 13%, my max upload rate would be 49, which is a few KB too low.

My most populated of the active DLs at this moment (Peak overall DL at the moment is 82K - yuck):

Seeds: 8(21) Peers: 54(119) DL: 28.9 UL: 9.4

The others, though less populated, all seem to be limited to the 3:1 ratio or less (less being more often the case) -- only occassionally and only very briefly does it spike significantly above the 3:1 ratio.

It occurred to me to mention that I have ipfilter enabled with ~88K entries exported from PeerGuardian (which I also have running, because I know of no automated way to update the ipfilter.dat file like PG updates itself).

Well, about the time I posted previously, I upped the active DLs to 5 to include one I knew had more participation and still the same pattern persists (although I'll give it more than just an hour before writing it off, I honestly don't expect much difference).

Seeds: 13(262) Peers: 57(805) DL: 17.9 UL: 7.0

While writing this, the DL has fluctuated between ~8K and ~22K while the UL has remained within about 1K or so of 7K.

Archived