Torrent priority...

Vl@da

I apologise if this is a stupid question but I'm fairly new here... :-)

Can you set the priority of a whole torrent like you can set it for parts within torrents?

For example: I have 3 torrent downloads active but I want to prioritize first one and the second two to download if the first one isn't taking up my whole connection.

I hope you understood me... :-)

The queueing system is already a priority scheme (sort by the # column). With regards to bandwidth, changing priority for anything doesn't really affect the bandwidth used -- not even files. When a file receives higher priority, it just tells µTorrent to be more aggressive about requesting data for the file. µTorrent can't control how quickly other peers decide to send it data, so it can't tell a torrent "step in and increase your download speed" just by increasing a torrent's priority.

What µTorrent can do is control the torrent's upload rate via the bandwidth allocation submenu in the torrent context menu.

I know that download depends on the peers, but prioritizing via queing system isn't wokring (maybe just on my computer).

I wanted to ask something else:

Let's say that my DL rate can go up to 110 kB/s.

Torrent #1 DL speed is aprox. 20kB/s

Torrent #2 DL speed is aprox. 30kB/s

Then if I add Torrent #3 with lots of peers it's DL speed will be aprox. 90kB/s and other 2 torrent DL speeds will fall to 3-8 kB/s...

Is there a way to keep first 2 torrent speeds and to "fill up" the connection with the third?

I hope you understand now... :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Then what the "Bandwidth allocation: High/Normal/Low" is for?

I'm running µTorrent 1.8.1 and when several torrents are running simultaneously I do not see any difference if I change the setting. I need to set "High" priority to one torrent and keep another one with "Low" priority when Torrent allocates its bandwidth. But it's not working as expected :(

What's working is "Bandwidth allocation: Set Upload Limit" and I actively use it. I need to utilize the whole bandwidth all the time, but, in some cases, when my 1st priority torrent can't use its portion and 2nd priority torrent is limited, the whole bandwidth usage suffers too... So, in these cases it's not a good solution and using "Bandwidth allocation: High/Normal/Low" seems to be the most appropriate one here. But unfortunately it's not working at all...

Is there any way to make it work?

Priority does not mean you will get faster speeds. Your download is others' upload. Where available it will do so, but say you setup 3 torrents, High Normal and Low priority. NO matter what, unless you get a fast peer http://slackware.com/torrents/ will download faster as Low than either of the other two.

What whole bandwidth are you talking about?

Much of the download speed you get from other peers is based on how much you upload to them.

If you suddenly decease how much you're uploading to them...expect your download speed (from them) to also drop.

Adding/starting other torrents which will also be uploading tends to do this...

I'm talking about upload speed only. My bandwidth (upload speed) is up to 80 kBps.

How do I watch the problem with priority is not respected?

It's easy. There are two torrents. One has "High" priority and second one has "Low" (or "Normal") priority. I watch them for a while. Upload speed may fluctuate around 40 kBps for both (sharing total up to 80 kBps). When I set for the second torrent a limit 20 kBps, the first torrent ("High" priority) may go up to 60 kBps on average. If I set for the 2nd torrent limit to 10 kBps - 1st one will go up to 70 kBps accordingly (on average, of cause). But when I remove the limit from 2nd torrent - bandwidth allocation goes back to equally sharing it between "High" and "Low" priority torrents. There is no any noticeable respect to current priority setting. I can see it by repeating the scenario with different torrents again and again.

What I'd expect from priority setting is simple. If I set it to "High" for one torrent then this torrent should get all possible bandwidth allocation _requested_ by it. Then the rest of the bandwidth (if available) should be distributed between other torrents accordingly to their respective priority settings.

EACH upload slot is entitled to a minimum upload speed, if available...regardless of Priority settings.

This is to avoid uploading at <0.5 KiloBYTES/second to individual peers. It doesn't always work because some peers can't download that fast from you due to problems on your or their end. :(

• 2 months later...

I understand the thread starter completely...

I think that uTorrent should have not only upper limit for speed but a "minimum sustained rate as well", so that a needful torrent with a little amount of peers wouldn't be "oppressed". For example it could work by automatically limiting/extending DLspeed and the amount of *concurrent* peers (yet randomly picked to meet torrent sharing principle) for that other not-as-needed with "low priority" torrent tag.

Archived