uTorrent working but gui freezes whenever I click on its File menu

sblmnl

Sorry not sure which forum this should go in. I am a new user of uTorrent 1.4 on windows xp SP2 and I noticed this is happening consistently:

I have utorrent running and uploading/downloading, I go to add another torrent and click File (yes I know I can use the button, but I'm still used to the BT client and keep forgetting) and the uTorrent menus are immediately greyed out and the client appears to freeze BUT the processes continue to run happily.

I just cant drag, minimise or maximise the window, click any tabs or interact with anything with in the interface window. It looks exactly like a freeze except the app is still working perfectly in all oher respects - not sure how else to explain it.

Also because I cant exit the app when it is like this, I have been trying to use Windows task manager to close it down .. yet it continues to run. I have to do a hard reboot to exit.

Is it a bug or some known problem (yes I did search already).

Please post some info about your hardware specs and firewall, antivirus and any other interesting software you use.

Did the utorrent.exe process CPU/Memory resources increase when it happened?

Edit: Do you by any chance use dual (or triple) monitors? Seems to me like the "add torrent" dialog fails to display. Either because it's hidden, or because it's on another monitor.

Thanks for your replies. Additional information:

The CPU usage remains static when this "freeze" thing happens. Note is not a full freeze or lockup, it's only the gui which freezes. I'm just a simple girl, only one monitor(details below) and no interesting software (that seems to be implicated here anyhow) :-P

I have done some testing to see if I can recreate the problem with various other apps that I commonly use, haven't come up with anything so far. NAV/NIS don't seem to affect it. I was wrong by the way, it doesn't occur 100 pct of the time, as I havent been able to force the error.

The only thing I noticed is that it has occurred when I have the Windows Explorer window open at the directory containing my torrent files. So I guess yeah it could be something along the lines Animorc suggests... would it happen if it was hidden by another dialog? ie the Windows Explorer one?

Here are the specs of my PC and video hardware in case anyone spots any potential issues (I ran a dxdiag so apologies for unnecessary details, I r noob so dont know what's important and what's not):

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 1/13/2006, 19:10:31

Machine name: P43200

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: GBT___

System Model: AWRDACPI

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 357MB used, 2106MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce FX 5700LE

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0343&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: SyncMaster 172X/177X,SyncMaster Magic CX710X/CX714X(Digital)

Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.8198 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 12/10/2005 03:06:00, 3955456 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Thanks for any help. In the meantime guess I just have to train myself out of using the File menu to add torrents :-)

Ahhh! you are a genius! or maybe /me stupid. Anyway I reproduced the freeze like this:

1. Start uTorrent

2. Open Windows Explorer -> the File and other top-level menu of uTorrent goes grey

3. Browse to folder containing torrents, edit filenames of the ones that didn't reload when u.Torrent was restarted (yes, another problem I have, please see my post here [url=]http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3872&p=2 if you can help.

4. uTorrent gui freezes but processes continue.

5. Press esc to unfreeze! :-) Thank you

Archived