Router/firewall (not) blocking my connection (FAKE reporting)

Boggdan

I've recently set my router to use (a) "virtual server/ports" and now utorrent looks like is running fine BUT it shows me that i'm not connectable :).

If i run the TEST (present in the connection wizard) to see if the port is forwarded ... of course it shows me that the port is closed: i have set my utorrent to run on port XYZ and using my router settings the data is redirected to another port GHD.

clipboard01zd8.th.png

As you can see in the picture the program was started some time ago... and the icon didn't changed. I've downloaded a whole torrent and it didn't changed... (and now i'm uploading it :) with the same issue)

So... if download a torrent all the data will be send by utorrent through port XYZ but the user who gets the data will see that it was send through port GHD.

The data received will enter my router through port GHD and it will be redirected to port XYZ and than it will reach utorrent.

Anyway... i hope i was clear :).

Virtual Server

You can configure the Broadband router as a Virtual Server so that remote users accessing services such as the Web or FTP at your local site via Public IP Addresses can be automatically redirected to local servers configured with Private IP Addresses. In other words, depending on the requested service (TCP/UDP) port number, the Broadband router redirects the external service request to the appropriate internal server (located at one of your LAN's Pirvate IP Address).

Port redirection is not supported in uTorrent.

Additionally, your router IS blocking incoming connections. You misunderstand the workings of the TCP protocol if you think that your router is behaving properly in your configuration.

So... if download a torrent all the data will be send by utorrent through port XYZ but the user who gets the data will see that it was send through port GHD.

This is WRONG. This is SO WRONG I don't know what made you think it was right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_server last entry for disambiguation.. links to port forwarding. Port forwarding says it right in the beginning "is the act of forwarding a port from one network node to another". I.E. it rewrites the destination address. You need a more advanced router to perform port redirection. Or something like a local loopback redirection.

Tell me WHY this is not functional >> 22173311lj6.th.pngthpix.gif

Using the same settings for utorrent on every computer, including the port.

Maybe you don't think this is useful ... but imagine having several ip's on the same computer... using them alternative or simultaneously. You don't have a choice BUT to use that feature mentioned in my early post: virtual server. Oh... you could change utorrents port every time you use ip X or Y (supposing that you have forwarded some ports for these ip's). If you use both ip's it could be tricky.

The bottom line... please explain why this is not a good thing to do and why i i'm so wrong.

INCORRECT INFORMATION IS NOT USEFUL.

1> Outbound connections are not covered under virtual server rules.

2> uTorrent reports its listen port to the tracker, when you try to virtual server a different port, the incoming connections try to go to the original port. Because you forwarded a different port, the connections ARE BLOCKED.

Your system is flawed.

Hm... i'm watching my utorrent... and it seems that is is seeding at a very good rate and the torrents are different, trackers also different, the users are not the same :|. So... the connections aren't really blocked. I will consider what you've said ... but i'm not convinced because i have, probably, a functional p2p system.

Archived