Constant freezes when torrenting

stow

USB wifi drivers don't work as well as cards. Find out your chipset... check the manufacturer / brand for newer drivers. Lower your settings. Those are the steps to follow in order in your case it sounds like. That is if you isloate anything injecting into uT (process explorer log) and nothing you dono't know about being installed (hijackthis logfile)

Like I said, I have the latest drivers already. In addition, my settings are low for my connection and I still have the same problem with a fresh install of Windows.

I still don't see why a USB wifi card should cause hard freezes...

Okay, I'll buy a NIC and see if it makes any difference.

If I reduce the connections below 60 should that fix it? I still get freezes when few connections are active and why should it crash the whole system?!

Finally, why are USB devices so crippled? Where does it say that they can't perform the function they are designed for adequately?

Cheers,

The new drivers are meant to be okay but why should NIC drivers be radically different? I've read reports of people experiencing similar problems with NICs.

In an update, I don't think it's due to the USB dongle not being able to handle lots of connections. I reduce the max global connections to 30 and still experience the same problem. Two freezes so far in the last hour...

It's in the forums if you actually look.

Also, drivers in the box tend to be old, and even new drivers don't perform well. Linksys WRT54G's after v4 suck because Linksys reduced the RAM and flash memory size. Combine that with poor firmware and the damn thing locks up because it uses all available memory tracking dead communications.

Well I haven't been able to find any references by searching. How could that cause the whole system to freeze and how can people sell these things that don't even function correctly?

I'm not using the in-box drivers - I'm using the latest, recommended drivers that I've downloaded.

I don't use a WRT54G and don't see what router RAM has to do with my PC freezing.

Yup don't use those. Running with max global peers of 15 now and still getting freezes...

Also, I suspect it's a torrent specific question rather than related solely to the USB wifi stick as I can get constant uploads of 400 kB/s locally for several hours without problem but it kills uTorrent in minutes.

Archived