My problem with v1.8.1 is solved....

grathiam

In a prior thread, Firon kindly spent some time trying to resolve the problem I was having

with v.1.8.1. It was to no avail. I'd been previously using v1.7.7 without problems and just re-loaded

the older version. Here is the tread for that exchange: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=47989

I'm now happily using v1.8.1...finding that while my Zyxel DSL modem had no problems accepting any port changes I made in the v1.7.7 utorrent preference file, it did not recognize any of the ports I tested while trying to troubleshoot the problem I was having with v1.8.1. Evidently either v1.8.1 wasn't communicating with the modem or the modem has a glitch or problem with the newer version utorrent. I had to physically input my currently used port in the modem's software and now all is well.

There were UPnP changes made to µTorrent in 1.8.x so that it would forward ports for UDP in addition to TCP (only TCP was forwarded in v1.7.x and prior). That caused a bunch of problems for many users, and your problem actually doesn't sound all too unlikely to have been caused by this. FWIW, you can always disable UDP forwarding by enabling net.upnp_tcp_only in Preferences > Advanced. Of course, if you don't feel like doing this (since it already works fine for you), that's okay too. As long as everything works okay for you, that's great! :P

Archived