completed torrent availability checker

cynixx3

If we choose to keep all of our files associated with the torrents and they have completed not only the download but the seed limit as well could the program check the torrent for its availability and if it is less than 1 it would start super seeding with high bandwidth priority automatically?

uTorrent doesn't make seed-to-seed connections because as part of the BitTorrent protocol, it's essentially forbidden -- since they have no parts of the torrent to give to each other.

In short, it's wasteful.

Having absolute knowledge about a torrent swarm would require infinite bandwidth, since that would require instantaneous transfers of all relevant information.

Why do you have a features request section when all of the moderators jobs is to tear down ideas with why they might be hard to code. I don't even think you really pay attention to peoples questions before you reply. My idea has nothing to do with connection to seeds at all. The tracking possibly being an hour old also has no bearing on the implementation of this idea.

Let me try to say this in another way. A user downloads a file. Renames it. Organizes it and keeps the files association with the torrent. After the file seeds until the ratio is meet why cant uTorrent possibly hide the torrent file until a periodic check finds out that there are no seeds for the torrent the user already has. A prompt, or not, later the file is being seeded again either until the user stops it or another condition is meet (IE other seeds are in the swarm again.)

Now in what part of this do you HAVE to connect to another seeder especially if your checking the tracker to see if it has NO seeders? When the tracker reports that there are no seeders why would you have to connect to anyone to check, wouldn't the current rarest piece first kick in and distribute only the necessary files?

Your request would also fit in with the advanced seeding rules / scheduler overhaul planned for an upcoming version.

I understand you may feel slighted since someone seemed to (immediately discredit) argue against your idea. However given the lifetime of uTorrent and the size of the forum it's very likely every request has been brought up before (moved to Trash) or referenced casually/included on the todo already. I'd take it on faith the team knows how to keep track of what keeps things small... and that they do listen to the users.

In all cases, I anticipate some new "queue" mechanic to kick in or be visible when these changes are made because one thing I do wish I could see is order/next queued seed, i.e. when a torrent falls below the seeding threshold.

Archived