Using 2 Computers to Download 1 Torrent

DenDen2006

Hi, Im new to here, ive been downloading a 41.6GB file for a while, and last nite i thought to myself, if i used 2 computers (desktop and laptop) to download the same file onto the desktop (the harddrive is shared) is that possible? if its possible then theoretically i could download the file twice as fast, anyone know if i can do that without any conflicts?

For example: If the file is split into 1x20GB (file A) and 1x21.6GB (file B) then you can download sperately and it MIGHT download faster. I tried to download one file with two computers, but only one is fast other one is extremely slow.(mostly because uploader only upload to 1 unique IP)

If you download on two computers, you would spit the download bandwidth. For example you have a 2Mb/s connection with one computer. You would download at 2Mb/s. Same connection with two computers, each would download at 1Mb/s. You would not gain anything and may even loss some bandwidth to the extra overhead of the second computer. I would stick to one computer unless the second is connected to the internet via a seperate broadband connection.

i see but my connection is 9Mbps/1Mbps so there is alot of overhead room. right now im downloading the file at 30k/sec now if i activate the download on the second computer and lets say i get another 30k/sec that would in total be 60k/sec which is twice as fast getting twice as many pieces...

i know theoretically it would split my connection but my download is slow therefore i have alot of unused bandwidth that i could allocate to the download..

Does the torrent contains multiple files? If yes, you can just use 1 computer and open the same (or rename to other filename) torrent, save to diff. directory/drive, set "don't download" in file tab so you don't dl the same file inside for both identical torrent. finally do the merging yourself..

Sorry, but there is really no advantage to doing this. The reason you're only getting 30 KiB/s is because there obviously aren't many high-bandwidth peers in the swarm. Adding another PC on the same Internet IP won't do anything but slow things down. It would only be if you were downloading so fast that your computer hardware was limiting downloads that this would be helpful. :)

It might help to get a friend on another internet connection to download some parts, though.

41GB file? Dang thats a huge torrent. Could you set up a proxy using one computer to have a different ip address? I dont know how proxies work, but if they can be assigned per computer and not per ip address, then you should be able to do it. Doesn't seem like its worth it, but with 41GB to download it might be.

Hi,

and what about if I download a torrent with two computers with two separate connections. Is there a way to force uTorrent on both computers to download from each other ???.

I reached this situation this way:

1) I start downloading a file with uTorrent at home with my desktop computer.

2) Later I do the same with my laptop at work.

3) So when I returned from work I wanted to "add" the pieces of the file I have downloaded from my laptop to my desktop computer, but how?.

Thanks.

The only way I see that happening is if you connect both clients to the torrent, and manually enter the IP of the machine you want to grab the extra contents from into the µTorrent on the computer you're trying to consolidate the data onto.

As for the original question... I really think you can't do that... My reasoning is that both clients don't know which client is getting which piece/file.

If its all one file, your stuck with one machine. If its split files (2 or more), then you could do what your talking about by using selective downloading. Check not to download file(s) in the torrent on each computer. You can later transfer the files from one computer to the other through USB or direct ethernet (requires a certain kind of ethernet cord to hook up computer to computer).

Unfortunally, I doubt this is possible. You can run two 'instances' of utorrent and have each selectivally download certain files without overlapping the files on each program. If your bandwidth is shared between the 2, it really isnt going to help. It may even go slower.

It would be great if it's able to automatically. I have 2 physical lines coming in. 2 modems, 2 IPs... basically 2 fully independent internet connections. Both networks plugged into 1 computer. 2 NICs on 2 seperate networks. Basically, dual bonded modems. Oh well... can always wish. Not many programs are even capable of binding to multiple IPs simultaneously. Forget about it tring to use them effectively.

Funny, still complain about not enough bandwidth. Average over 100gb a day down and still not enough. hehe =P

It would be great if it's able to automatically. I have 2 physical lines coming in. 2 modems, 2 IPs... basically 2 fully independent internet connections. Both networks plugged into 1 computer. 2 NICs on 2 seperate networks. Basically, dual bonded modems. Oh well... can always wish. Not many programs are even capable of binding to multiple IPs simultaneously. Forget about it tring to use them effectively.

Funny, still complain about not enough bandwidth. Average over 100gb a day down and still not enough. hehe =P

I'm amazed at some peoples configurations. 2 modems? Lucky you. :) Suppose you have 2 processors hooked up too? If so, "lucky you" changes to you lucky bastard. No, I'm not jealous, I just want what you have, there's a difference.

100GB down a day? What are you using for storgage?

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

My wife was DLing a torrent at a fairly slow speed, so I decided to try DLing the same one on my computer to see if I could get it faster. As soon as the it start DLing I was getting between 200-300kb. This lasted until my percentage matched the percentage of the same torrent on my wifes computer. I thought this was strange, so I started monitoring both computers. Every minute or so my computer would spike to around 200kb and my wife upload would spike as well. So what I'm guessing is happening is that my computer is connecting with hers and getting the packets that it's missing. At first I thought that this would speed up the download, but I soon realized that it was only working in one direction and I was not gaining ground on her.

I just thought I would share this and see what you guys thought. It would be great if there was a way to have both computers download from different peers. Then maybe I could start speeding things up by using two computers.

• 7 months later...

face 121 you are right what happened is that one computer got what it was missing from the other

if u use one connection using many computers wont make it go faster (unless u limit each utorrents connections, in that case it wont make it go faster, it will make it not go slower).

great to see that this post started on 2006!

• 1 month later...

It works for me, here is my experience:

This is different then using one internet as your router works as your network.

I have 2 pc's with win7

1 networking cable

2 wifi cards

2 internet connections 386k each (40 kbs) slow internet is why i do this.

1. I first network the pc's via networking cable.

2. Connect each pc to each internet via wifi

3. Start downloading torrent to a specified shared folder on 1st pc (wait 1 min before starting download on other pc so that the file will show up in the shared folder)

4. Start downloading torrent on 2nd pc. (you must find shared location on first pc and try to over write save location)

5. Force recheck on 2nd pc. when recheck is done the downloading will start

At this point both pc's will be downloading the same file but storing it on the 1st pc shared location.

You will be downloading some of the same files, but here are my findings.

(yes you will see the upload/download speed fluctuate as your pc's transfer files)

1st pc downloading a 700mb file takes 4hr 57 min

1st and 2nd pc downloading 700mb file 4hr 2min

This is a 24% increase in overall download time

I was still opening web pages, uploading a 25mb video to youtube and watching some clips on youtube on the 1st pc while doing this.

I can see a benefit to doing this with a large file with lots of seeders that is coming down slow with only "1 internet access". Since you connect to "x" amount of peers sometimes you just cant get a good download, say 30kbs. If you have two pc's connected to different peers then you may get a total of 60kbs downloading.(as denden2006 was saying).

Edit:

I now downloaded a 6+gig file containing multiple files. The best way to do this is to do the same as above, but set half of the files to high priority and half of the files to low priority so that you dont wast time/speed downloading the same file twice.

To update the files so that each computer can see what files are downloaded, you will have to "stop" the download and "force recheck". When it is done rechecking, start downloading again.

Archived