uTorrent Resouce Paronia!

blizeH

Hi there, basically I'm using BitComet at present and it is serving me rather well, I've no problems with it, however, a few people have recently made the jump to úTorrent and seemingly would never turn back!

I've just tried it for myself and it does seem rather decent, but I've got one question.. I know that uTorrent uses minimal resources, but is that really a good thing? I was under the impression that Bit Torrent programs only use a lot of resources becuase they cache the downloaded data and then dump it onto the hard drive as one big chunk - thus extending the life of the hard drive considerably?

p.s. Props for the use of PunBB boards! ^_^

Nope, most of the resource use comes from code bloat, Java, badly coded programs, too many unnecessary features, etc. Azureus' cache for example is only 4MB, but the program itself can use upwards of 200MB of RAM. BitComet's is a bit larger but not -huge-, and it uses a ton of CPU, though not as much as Azureus. µTorrent has a smaller write buffer, but it grows and shrinks according to your speeds. You could bump it manually by changing diskio.write_queue_size, but the RAM use still won't be very significant, because µTorrent is just very resource efficient. :)

Basically then then, use úTorrent? (sorry, not quite worked out how to do the proper u yet!)

^_^

I think I shall, the problem is though at the moment I'm having to wait for my bloody BitComet files to finish downloading.

/shakes fist angrily

Aww well, only a few days left.

Also, I know there are a few random posts here, but is there a comprehensive list somewhere for úTorrent toolbars? Thanks again.

Alt 0181 should work to make µ

And yeah, use µTorrent. :P If you're worried about your HDD, there's two things you can do to reduce the number of writes. Set diskio.write_queue_size to 16384 (in Advanced Options), and set diskio.coalesce_writes to *true. It'll use a bit more memory, but will should writes. Though in reality it doesn't matter much, you can do it anyway.

You can easily continue downloads from BitComet, but since BitComet appends bc! to the incomplete files, you'd have to rename each one to remove it. Might just be easier to finish there.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewforum.php?id=6 has the UI stuff, but I don't know if there's a comprehensive list...

Indeed it does, thank yoµ!

Would you recommend using those settings? I'm not *that* fussed about the hard drive, just don't want it dying sooner than it should! ^_^

Yeah, I think I'll carry on using BitComet just for the meantime, don't fancy risking losing my downloads hehe.

And thanks for the link, that was the place I was checking, just didn't want to miss a good one :)

I don't use them, but then I don't really care that much, mostly because the load that a desktop PC puts on an HDD has little effect on the life of an HDD. You can use it by all means though, it won't hurt performance, just use a little more RAM (and an unnoticeable amount of extra CPU)

Archived