increase speed with two network interface (?)

stig

Hello,

My question is some how general and if it works for utorrent, it will be great...

If I use two network interface, one from RJ45 on mainboard and the other from network adapter from PCI slot, and defining two IP addresses, then is it possible to double the speed?

If both connections lead to the same router (modem, ISP) it will not increase the speed.

In the other case (2 connections = 2 ISP or 2 lines on the same ISP) it will not double your speed.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_make_.C2.B5Torrent_use_a_specific_network_adapter.3F

You can just use one adapter (IP) for upload, one for download only.

It's possible to run 2 copies of uTorrent at once, each one bound to a separate ip address and presumably different network interface adapters.

In such a setup, it's better to run separate torrents on each uTorrent. Trying to download the same torrent on both at once is a mess -- as both uTorrents cannot save the same file to the same location. There are other problems as well doing that...

Seeding the same torrent from the same single source on your hard drive would not be a problem though...

Two adapters are going to same router and switch (in the university). So what is your recommendation to speed up upload. In case of download I convinced....

For two interface I have to run two copy of utorrent? Is there any way to use of copy of utorent?

if we suppose that my university allocates D:40KB/s and U:40KB/s for each IP address in the range, then when I use two network interface with two different IP, then by running two copy of utorrent, I should have U:40KB/s for each copy at least.

In case of downloading seperate files on two copies, I should have D:40KB/s on each utorrent.

Am I right? Why do you say ZERO advantage? How about http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/load-balance-two-internet-connections.htm

Also is it possible to tell each active torrent to use specific network adapter?

Normal networking, 2 computers sharing the SAME internet connection won't get any additional download speed running 2 uTorrent clients...because the router/modem/switch limits total speed to a fixed amount regardless how many computers are sharing that connection.

Your case is VERY unusual...in that the ISP is giving more bandwidth for each ip at the same location.

uTorrent is hard-coded in MANY places to expect to be running on only 1 internet ip address. So you'll have to run 2 separate uTorrent clients and convince each one that they're running on separate network interfaces.

But when you're trying to download the same torrent at once...both uTorrent clients cannot write to the same file. It will cause a file access denied problem, as the 1st one to try to write to the file will probably get exclusive access. And the other one will be blocked.

So you have to save the file 2x on your computer (1 for each client), then manually connect the 2 clients together locally by using "add peer" option in the PEERS window. (They might connect on their own...but may be 50+% done by then.) Even then, both clients will often try to download the same parts at the same time, costing 2x the bandwidth for any duplicated parts. This is FAR more trouble than it's worth except for extremely huge multi-file torrents, because there you can tell 1 uTorrent client to only download the first few files...and on the 2nd uTorrent client download the last files.

You could seed the same completed torrent through both adapters...or run different torrents through each adapter. But either way, you'd have to set which torrent goes where manually.

2008-11-20:

What I said about bandwidth allocation for the ISP may not be true. Thing is I can use utorrent in my system with X.Y.Z.201 with D:40KB/s and U:40KB/s. My friend on the other hand with X.Y.Z.156 also use utorrent with the same bandwith D:40KB/s and U:40KB/s. What I said is a logical result that if I use two IP then I should have D:40KB/s and U:40KB/s for each adapter.

I will try and post the result....

2008-12-8:

I decided to use utorrent with one card and the other with emule. With one card I have to dedicate 20KB/s for each of them, and now they can reach (not exactly at full throttle) 35KB/s.

I think one think is going wrong. When I bind utorrent to a specific IP, I have noticed that all trackers goes offline (!) and the "up arrow" icon becomes red. First I thought maybe because some trackers temporarily go offline, but it is strange that all of them are now offline.

Any comment?

Archived