Blocking unauthorized probes of my computer

cremaster

After a reinstall of xp I am ready to reinstall utorrent. I have the latest ver and what I figure are the new guides. Last time I used utorrent there was a program that monitored and restricted in coming connections. I believe that it added entries of "evil" urls to the host file. It was also updatable. I do not remember the name of the program. This is a program that was suggested here on this forum.

I am unable to find any reference to it. I would like to obtain a copy so can someone link me up please. Is this program still recommended for use with utorrent? If not what is the current accepted to application to use for this.

Thank you for any assistance you may offer.

Bonus Question: Exactly is WebUI? I see it seems to be a new application. I have looked at the guide but still am confused. If someone could tell me what it is and what it is for I will promise to always keep my ratios high.

>>You can't "block the bad guys" the way you think that you can with that application.

While I understand that it is/was not 100% it did report quite a few probes. Am I to understand that the utorrent view if one wants to protect their privacy is that this type of product is ineffective? Is it recomended that utorrent be run naked?

PeerGuardian does not protect you privacy at all. No torrent client will give you more 'privacy' from P2P monitoring organizations by blocking "bad people's IPs", it's totally ineffective.

http://neuron2neuron.blogspot.com/2006/05/blocklist-balderdash.html

http://neuron2neuron.blogspot.com/2008/09/another-example-of-problems-with.html

The only thing that can help you is a VPN service, which is independent of torrent clients.

Even if you could block 100% reliably EVERY "hostile" on a torrent you're on...those hostiles would still be given your ip as a peer/seed ON that torrent BY THE TRACKER!

Not all monitoring companies care about double-checking that ips reported by the tracker are actually running those torrents.

...Sometimes they report dead people are running torrent software.

...Or internet printers are pirating movies.

They don't care, when they send out cease-and-desist letters -- you're guilty until proven innocent.

Many people settle out of court because it's too expensive to fight them. :(

Archived