I would love is someone helped me

roygbiv

i was having really bad download speeds, .1-5 kb/s usually and i looked up some tweaks online to help improve it. i started adjusting the preferences based on all of the tutorials and things i saw which is stupid i know now but now almost nothing will download!

Only one torrent will actualyl download and its for only a few seconds at a really slow speed.

i dont know what to do, i hardly know any of the termonology on here, im completely lost.

help from anyone would be appreciated

1st and 2nd link in my signature.

1st one is for troubleshooting, and tells you what information you'll need to give us if the problem isn't solved quickly.

2nd link gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

Cox Cable is hostile to BitTorrent traffic, so don't expect uTorrent speeds to be nearly as fast are regular downloading.

"Delete settings.dat and settings.dat.old from %AppData%\uTorrent with the client closed."

I would be happy to do this if i knew what it meant.

The net.halfopen thing is at 50

The sign at the bottom of utorrent is yellow, not green but forwarding a port or whatever seems incredibly difficult and theres a chance that my internet will stop working if i dont do it correctly?

thanks a lot for the help though guys

Reset both of them to default. Select it, then press the 'reset' button.

If you wanna reset all your settings, press Start -> Run, then type in %AppData%\uTorrent

Press enter. Look for settings.dat and settings.dat.old. Close µTorrent. Delete those files. Start µTorrent.

I am now getting the red exclamation point at the bottom, i think this might be the biggest problem.

I read the guide on forwarding a port and it seems easy at the most part but there was a step in setting up a static ip that said i could risk losing internet connection if i did it incorrectly.

I have a belkin router and i need the proper DNS IP because at the moment its showing the same address as the default gateway.

how do i find it?

Also, how do you disable firewalls for utorrent if you're not sure if the firewall is blocking it or not?

and would downloading a torrent with hashfails be bad for the computer?

It's normal for you to see your router IP as the DNS server when you're setting up a static IP.

Hashfails don't really matter -- µTorrent discards such pieces and redownloads them. If it keeps occuring, and prevents you from completing the torrent, then chances are, the torrent is poisoned.

ugh i went through and forwarded a port and the check is saying thats its forwarded correctly but i have the red sign saying Listen error: you should change the listen port.

and nothing is downloading

what is the listen port how do you change it so this will work?

Archived