Questions about .torrent files, where to save, how to move...

Hi, I got really messed with all my .torrent files I need to find a better way to organize them. After reading all faqs I still have some questions, some help would be great. Utorrent 1.8.1, Windows XP and torrents downloded to external HD's.

I know there are options about where to save them etc but I still don't get some things, for example why does utorrent create a new .torrent in it's main folder when there's no path in the "save .torrents in" option, why doesn't utorrent just use the torrent I loaded?

Does Utorrent need to have all the .torrent files in one folder? the one set in the save all .torrent files to... option?

What if I want to have torrents in folders acorrding to the tracker

Like a folder for tracker1 tracker2... and save all torrents from each tracker to that folder?

How can I move the .torrent files (without having to remove them and re-add)? I know I could just copy them to the new folder and then use the "auto load torrents from ... folder" The problem is that I changed the download to path from each torrent I download (I don't use the default download folder name) Am I messed up?

Maybe I should just stop to rename .torrents and download paths, but when you have 1500+ torrents it looks really bad to have all torrents and paths witout a naming rule hehe

Thanks! :)

Not very a good managing to separate .torrent files. It's better to keep the .torrent pool in one folder that 's safe like AppData by default.

Because if you trash by error the folder with data + .torrent...

uT create a new copy of the .torrent to work, that's its behavior. In addition when you open a torrent from the web, everybody doesn't save the .torrent on its HD but open it directly with uT.

Thanks for the reply, I still have my questions if anyone can answer them. Don't take me wrong, just looking for some better or bigger explanation :)

Don't know what you mean with "Because if you trash by error the folder with data + .torrent..."

Thanks!!

By default if you trash manually the folder where are your data, the .torrent is not deleted. In your case, it could be the case. of course if you use the remove function in uT, it's the case but that prevents many wrong situations.

uT save a copy of the .torrent in %AppData%\uTorrent by default if you didn't set a particular folder in Settings > Directories.

If you want rank torrents according to tracker name, use labels in uT or use folders for data and let the .torrents in the global folder that you have configured in uT.

Thanks again!

I always remove using the utorrent menu, delete torrent and\or data so no problem :)

Mine saves to the .exe folder cause I store the settings there

How can I move the .torrent files (without having to remove them and re-add)? I know I could just copy them to the new folder and then use the "auto load torrents from ... folder" The problem is that I changed the download to path from each torrent I download (I don't use the default download folder name) Am I messed up?

I think it's much better to save all .torrent in the c: drive (laptop) and then store all downloads in external hd's where space is left

i keep everything seeded so i already have many GB's to store

c:\...\Utorrent\Torrents\*tracker_name*\.torrents

and then download to where you want to (external hd)

Even better, you can make utorrent portable, put it in another laptop or PC and take the external HD, ready to seed!

Archived