All torrents that were in the downloading window are disappeared...

dfarns

I started up uTorrent 1.8 after a reboot of computer, and the 10 or so downloads (completed and in progress) are gone. The reboot was necessary because of a lockup (Win2000)...not related to uTorrent, but uTorrent was on and downloading at the time.

This has happened before with earlier versions and the download list was never recovered.

Is there a way to do this, are there any files that would have this information so that I can continue as I was before the reboot.

If not, what a delicate program...there should at least be a way to save this information for this kind of event.

Any suggestions?

Dan

I checked for resume.dat and found resume.dat and resume.dat.old and they were both empty other than the fileguard line. There also were two other files, resume.dat.1.bad, and resume.dat.old.1.bad...that were full of what seems to be names of torrents, and the second one also had a lot of web sites (Firefox favorites) listed, really a lot of them. All these files have today's date so I assume they are somehow current, not real old files.

Any idea about these last two files`...could they be useful in restoring the lost download(ed)(ing) list. I don't think I saw them when I last had this problem with utorrent 1.7. And I'm puzzled by all the web sites/favorites in the resume.dat.old.1.bad file, why would they be listed there?

Dan

If you want to actually CHECK the layout of bencoded files (resume.dat) you could look at Ultima's bencoded files editor tool http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 . This is usually an alternative for people with many data locations or many torrents which re-adding by hand is still undesirable, even with the bonus of auto-searching the set incomplete/complete download folders from Ctrl-P > Directories as long as you uncheck "always show dialog".

However if the resume.dat file doesn't decode... which it sounds like it won't you'll still need to excise the bad data with a hex-editor (NOT NOTEPAD) to remove all data after the last "8:webseedslee" entry like jewelisheaven mentions in post #127 in that thread (to keep all existing good torrent data). As always backup any file you play with incase something bad happens.

Archived