Why connections with no pieces (0%)

Blinding

Sometimes I will see connections to peers that are at 0% when I am also at 0%. Given that they have no data and I have no data what purpose does this serve?

Just a little while ago I was looking at a torrent that had poor connectivity. Despite it reporting a couple of seeds they were apparently not sending any data as all the peers were reporting 0%. Yet when I click on the "peers" tab (utorrent 1.8.1 BTW) I see that I have connections to some of those peers. They don't have any pieces they can send to me and I don't have any I can send to them. This seems like wasted connections. Given that I am connection limited by my router this impacts torrents that DO have data to transfer.

>> Because they won't always have 0%, and they won't always be only looking for pieces you don't have.

How do you know? Is this one of those things we accept on faith?

Seriously, this torrent has been sitting for days with nobody getting nothing. I wouldn't mind leaving it in the queue, sometimes the "log jam" will clear and it will start to download, but not if it is tying up resources I need.

Just because you have 0%, does that mean you'll always have 0%? No. Assuming there is someone in the swarm with data, then you have the possiblity of advancing beyond 0%. That doesn't apply only to you -- any peer you're connected to with 0% may also advance beyond 0%.

So just because you see that they currently have 0% doesn't mean they won't somehow get some data, and consequently, send it over to you.

Archived