seeds and peers

grniiidbear

Every week I download a popular show and there are always 100 x more peers than seeders. I am currently showing 24(3746) seeds and 52(24450) peers. Is there any way to keep the peers from downloading from me until I get the full torrent? I have tried to read the forums, but the explanations are written like we are supposed to know what a swarm is or a leecher. Can anyone explain this in plain english?

You're on ComCast, once you get the full torrent and become a seeder...ComCast will likely disrupt your ability to connect and stay connected to peers. So your upload at that point will likely be dismal.

BitTorrent works by peers uploading to other peers. In return, a peer uploads generally to whatever peer uploaded the fastest to it (Tit-for-Tat). If you didn't upload at all while downloading...your download speed will be slower, as will someone else's because you're not uploading to them. :(

Please try the 2nd link in my signature...you probably can use the 1 megabit/second upload settings, unless you're in one of those horrible areas where ComCast still only gives 384 kilobits/second upload. (In that case, use the 384 kilobits/second upload settings.)

I believe I have all me settings set up properly. I am bewildered as how you know I am on comcast from a simple post. I usually get what I consider great speeds and most of the time I know that if there are more seeders than leecher/peers then I'm going to download relatively fast.( Have even seen 1MB/s ) Last evening when downloading the 550 mb file I was getting download speeds from 150 kB/s to 250 kB/s, even with the low seed to peer ratio.

I have kept my client open for this one file and have a share ratio of 8.226 with an upload speed fluxuating form 100 to 150 kB/s, which I am hoping is ok.

According to the last speed test I ran a few month's back, which I did 10 times and then averaged them out, I set my download speed to 11250 kB/s and upload speed to 161 kB/s.

On the Preference tab here are the following settings.

Global Max number of connections 100

Max Number of connected peers per torrent 75

Number of upload slots per torrent 8

I heard a while back from some other forums that comcast monitors IP addresses but also read too that this practice was challenged and they no longer do that. I never had any issues with Comcast before.

I did not mean to have a tone regarding my first posting. I was just upset because this happens to be a very popular download and people were not keeping their client open and should have had way more seeders. Because of my settings posted above, is that why I am not seeing many seeders on some files?

I can see ip addresses of posters here.

It's content-monitoring companies that tell ComCast that a certain ComCast ip is (supposedly) illegally sharing a file.

So long as you're not running >8 of torrents at once your settings are fine. If you're running 8+ torrents at once, with each getting 8 upload slots...average upload speed to other peers will be very low and they'll be unlikely to upload back to you. (Total upload slots = upload slots per torrent times total active torrents)

Archived