Port Forwarding Mystery

wozzah

Hi all -

Hopefully someone may be able to help here - I'm having some trouble with the whole port-forwarding issue.

Fairly basic setup, Vista Ultimate, Kaspersky IS7, Zyxel P660HW-T1 and uTorrent.

I have followed all the steps on PortForward.com for my router - static IP address is set up (192.168.1.84) and port opened for the same port in the router/uTorrent (12566). I have allowed KIS7 firewall exception as per Ultima on the recommended firewall set up on this forum (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=7862).

Most of the time I get reasonable download speed, but really quite slow upload speeds. The Speed Guide always says the port is closed. The red circle changes intermittently to the yellow triangle. I got the green circle just once, and the Speed Guide test still said the port was closed!

I don't understand how I could get the green circle without the port being opened (or at least the Speed Guide thinking it's closed...).

Like I said, I only got green once. Most of the time it's either red or yellow.

Any suggestions would be great - as I'm a bit flummuxed!

Rgds Wozzah

Come on guys - is that really the best answer that can be offered? If I uninstalled Kaspersky, that would leave a significant hole in the computer's security (i.e. all of the security!).

If other people are using Kaspersky successfully with uTorrent, then there must be a reason why it isn't working for me. If there is a more useful suggestion than just opening my computer to a few million hackers around the world, then please feel free to suggest something!

It wasn't a personal experience, it was an experience of several users. One apparently got a tweaked version of the bugged driver from Kaspersky for testing, don't know what happened from there.

Random program blocking is something I've seen on my system and a few other systems.

I'm away from home at the moment, but will try over the next couple of days to see if KIS is the cause.

Any suggestions for alternative security? Although I am loathed to change, as I did spend £35 on it, and it's the only AV I've tried which doesn't use 1/2 my system resources!

Archived