uTorrent stays in memory after close; cannot restart app

stevelevy3

I have been using uTorrent 1.6 for a couple of years with no difficulty.

Recently, I upgraded from AVG 7.x to to AVG 8.0, and I have been having a lot of problems since that time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. I can start uTorrent (and it works fine), but when I close it, it remains in memory. If I run Task Manager and look at the Processes tab, uTorrent.exe is visible there, using about 9mb of memory.

2. In this state, I cannot restart uTorrent. A message box appears reading something like "It seems that uTorrent is still running but not responding. Close uTorrent and try again." Unfortunately, selecting uTorrent.exe in Task Manager and clicking End Process has no effect, so rebooting is the only way to be able to use the application again.

3. Within a few minutes of closing Torrent, if I do not reboot the system, I receive a BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. After rebooting, when I examine the System Event Log, I notice that it contains several hundred warning messages that read as follows:

"The description for Event ID ( 54 ) in Source ( AvgTdiX ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ."

Note that AvgTdiX is (presumably) an AVG process.

It appears that there is some form of incompatibility between uTorrent and AVG 8.0 that causes both uTorrent to remain in memory, and AVG to generate hundreds of errors eventually resulting in a system crash. Note that this problem did not exist with AVG 7.x.

No other significant applications are running on the machine, and I am the only user. The machine is clean of viruses.

Can anyone help? (Please!!!)

Thanks - Steve

I installed 1.8.1. This appears to have fixed the problem. When uTorrent is closed, the uTorrent.exe process now disappears from memory, and no messages are being written to the System Event Log.

If any of the problems recur, I will post these in a new topic.

Many thanks for your assistance and patience.

Steve

Archived