µTorrent 1.9 alpha 15380

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if anyone ever checked out the G2 Spec, it dates back from 2003 when this idea of using UDP as transport medium in P2P was first used.

http://g2.trillinux.org/index.php?title=UDP_Transceiver

Any tech heads willing to compare and contrast, and what is different?

I'm from Shareaza btw, just want to share my experience with udp based file transport. The only problem with UDP is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. The Shareaza client oft times never follows the Bandwidth limitations because of the dynamism of Network congestion, and the constantly changing downloaders and uploaders in the queue. So what I'm saying is that the trade-off seems to be control for a proper reflection of network conditions. Definately Shareaza doesn't have flow control ... more of a conditional connection states, briefly the criteria is shown on the spec relating to UDP found above.

EDIT: I wanted to say that the losing control for a more reliable connection is reflected in these current uTorrent betas. I also avidly use uTorrent, so I've noticed UDP never seems to fill up my upstream as an all TCP connection used to. Now I seem to average 59KB/s when on TCP I did 65KB/s ... really moot difference but still a 9% change.

sounds very very promising.

bandwidth not being used when there's no other network activity has frequently been a reason for banging my head against the wall.

one question: how does this work behind a router, when other network devices might need bandwidth?

Archived