µTorrent 1.9 alpha 15380

Firon

uTP currently has higher overhead than TCP. This is mostly caused by the fact that we use 300 byte packets, as opposed to 1460 bytes packets used by TCP. The reason for doing this is to have finer control over the send rate and the delay each packet incur.

There will be more knobs in the advanced settings to control uTP behavior in the future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope so. Whilst it's nice to have control over the send rate, timing, etc - to the average user, who just wants to load a torrent and go, it's not going to mean much. They'll see 10kb/s upload, and low downloads in uTorrent, and see higher uploads, and higher downloads because of it in another client.

If you can increase the perceived benefit, then more people will want to use your 'product'. Which at the moment, is rather difficult to do (unless you read all the technical info on uTP).

Overhead seems to be way down on the latest build, awesome! I've got maybe a 10% overhead now - back to where I was before uTP :)

- Fix: don't process SYN packets on existing uTP connections

- Fix: uTP congestion control fix

Can you elaborate a bit more ? what should we see as the result/effect those changes ?

In regards to SYN with TCP, it usually refers to a synchronize sequence number. They're mostly ever only used to initiate a handshake with ACK/SYN (which I believe if memory serves me right, is short for acknowledge, sign - in reference to receiving an order and signing for it).

Most DDoS attacks are done by flooding a connection with SYN packets, as they cause a lot of overhead, causing the machine to stop, process for longer than normal, and reply.

They would be hugely useless on existing connections, especially UDP ones.

Read up on TCP and it's SYN flag on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

thanks. J, can you try setting the download limit to, say , 100K see if you get the speed to only half of that ? ... I've tried it with openoffice 'test'-torrent...

edit:

what is uTorrent doing every 30 seconds exactly that spikes the upload ?

16763054xm3.png

w459.png

Hey All,

Just started using the latest build (14470) and currently my download is maxed. Using uTP only to improve experience with a throttling ISP. It is maxed at 600kB/sec and everything is fine except gmail and random website have issues but it comes and goes. Other computers on my network have no issues doing anything, when they do the speed drops for a brief moment. Just giving an update.

> My problem is that this new 1.9 uTorrent doesn't start downloads or seeds only if they are forced.

you better explain exactly what you mean. You press "start" button on a new torrent and the download just does not start ? Nothing like that here...

How to enable and disable it:

Preferences > Advanced, set bt.transp_disposition to:

255 - both TCP and uTP (default)

10 - uTP only

5 - TCP only

When set to 255, uTP is preferred anyway. If uTP weren't preferred by default, you wouldn't see uTP connections from 1.8.x peers.

Few releases doesn't equate to slow development, and faster releases doesn't equate to more testing...

cause of a bug in counting uTP connections ? ... maybe ? ...

BTW - why don't you just tell us, how may torrents are you running concurrently ? and what's you max # of connections setup ? let me guess, you have 400 active torrents , and 350 max global connections ... :P

Archived