µTorrent 1.9 alpha 15380

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes 1-2 kB/s but not 5-10kB/s

As i said it only happened as i changed a setting, and upset utorrent. It didn't say ZERO (0) was automatic i assumed it might of been. Since returning the setting back to a value >ZERO (0) all is ok again. Also note while it was at ZERO (0) there was no increase in upload performance.

Looks like i let some cat out of the bag. I suppose we all step into the unknown from time to time, and still don't understand what the fuss is all about. Though this time it seems utorrent is meant to be better than the rest, i agree it is. :)

Ah ok understand now, no one knew for sure before utorrent attempted to esimate the ammount. Maybe my posts could help bug swatting something ie. why 0 affected it like so. Or if no bug found for it, make 0 impossible to enter..

I'm not against utorrent, i'm all for it. It's the best client i have ever used and respect. I'm sure near all here will agree to this. ;)

Why 0 WHERE affected WHAT like so?

Upload speed max set to 0 just means uTorrent (somewhat!) tries to use as much upload speed as it can. Bad settings, poor torrents, hostile ISPs, etc...can cause uTorrent to fail to reach the real max upload for the connection.

I think that net.calc_overhead is a little... pessimistic. (or optimistic if you like to look at it that way)

I have a connection with an upload speed of 256kbits/sec (8mbps down), which assuming no overheads would be a maximum of 32 KB/sec, and probably a real world 20-something, yet uTorrent was reporting upload speeds in excess of 40KB! Downloads seemed reasonable at between 200 and 500 KB/sec.

1.9 15380 alpha on xp sp3, running (probably) slightly too many connections and torrents simultaneously (temporary).

fowl, net.calc_overhead is quite likely showing more overhead than there really is.

My estimates for real overhead is about 1 KB/sec upload for every 20-50 KB/sec download speed gotten. So at 500 KB/sec download, upload consumed by overheads is probably 10-25 KB/sec.

You could try seed-only mode (or stop/pause downloading torrents) to see if your line can upload close to 40 KB/sec.

Why 0 WHERE affected WHAT like so?

Upload speed max set to 0 just means uTorrent (somewhat!) tries to use as much upload speed as it can. Bad settings, poor torrents, hostile ISPs, etc...can cause uTorrent to fail to reach the real max upload for the connection.

Yeah i assumed auto for 0 also for "global ALTERNATE upload rate when not downloading". After all it doesn't say [0: unlimited] for that one, only for the one above. Could be a one of bad tracker etc, neither did the logger report nything, that would be expected. Why go on about it, i've reported it that should be it, until know for sure if a bug or not. I'm not bothered, happy not to put a 0 there, not a problem for me.

Oh i do like the new statistics, never noticed they had ben updated before. Lots of nice new info, very helpful. Soon maybe they'll be loads more infos and all in a new panel next to logger, or after help (on top bar) - yay!!.

Lets say your not reading what i have written.

Settings

Bandwidth

>>>>>> Alternate upload speed when not downloading (kB/s):

It doesn't say for this one [0: unlimited]

I just tried it as others have [0: unlimited] so thought i maybe it's the same, it isn't

End of, unless you like having the final word, np ;)

Archived