µTorrent 1.9 alpha 15380

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I have a hunch a bluescreen I just got may be linked to Utorrent.

It was a "IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL" bluescreen, but the driver causing it was tcpip6.sys, and utorrent is currently the only thing I know of(unless Microsofts IPV6 driver just sucks and crashed on its own) that is even ipv6 capable on my computer. Tell me if there is anything I can get you, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Usually crashes in tcpip6.sys are due to buggy network card drivers. This is not something uTorrent can cause as the result of a bug, it just uses IPv6 so tcpip6.sys is excersized. See if there is a newer version of the driver for your network card.

Devs & Forum Mods/Admins,

I just posted a quick message at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21526209-Re-Notice-new-uTorrent-Alpha-may-be-able-to-evade-throttling to help some folks who were not getting the performance that they expected. While I think I was accurate, please review it for me and correct any suggestions that I got wrong or add any others you might have.

Thanks

Robb Topolski

(funchords)

@Firon: I'm really confused though. Even if the smoothwall box is not tracking the UDP traffic properly and somehow showing me I'm not maxing my connection even though it might be through uTP, shouldn't utorrent still be keeping this in check with its internal throttling mechanism without even taking upstream QoS into account?

Here's the situation: 99.99% of the time utorrent's about the only thing using the connection here. In addition, I have it set to around 80% of the connection usually like 8KB/s upload and 70KB/s download (raw speed of the connection at best times should be 96KB/s=768kbps and 16KB/s=128kbps) and even with those limits in place alongside the fairly conservative connection limits uT puts in place through the speed guide control set at xx/128k, the aforementioned lag problems still crop up. Not to mention the whole idea that's been instilled so far is that uTP is supposed to yield to all other traffic and prevent problems like this?

Hi, I have been watching the network usage with the current version of 1.9 at the time of this writing and it is high even though nothing is downloading. 1.8.1 sat nicely at idle but 1.9 uses an excess of ~40 kB/sec down and 30 kb/sec up.

I have experienced slight slower than normal downloads and normal uploads and no crashing, just this persistent transfer to seemingly nowhere, although it must be to a client(s). I have tried disabling the DHT and that wasn't the maker of the traffic.

Just thought I'd get this out there in case anyone else was experiencing similar issues.

Scott

@Switech: Yes, I do have all that stuff enabled. Thing is though, like I said before, this has all worked flawlessly with no lag whatsoever and no abnormal activity for ages using 1.8.1 and older versions with the limits in uT properly configured. Just observing its functioning, uTP doesn't seem to be obeying those limits like it should. Not to mention the whole idea was for uTP to yield to all other traffic and not cause this problem in the first place.

It's pretty clear cut. Nothing changes aside from the uTP/uTP+TCP/TCP setting. DHT, resolve ip's, scraping, LPD, etc. All remain set. If I have uTP or uTP+TCP set, eventually ping times spike up to 1s at a minimum and web browsing becomes an absolute bore. Switch it back to TCP only and do a restart of utorrent and things return to normal with 50-100ms ping times under normal operation and strict obedience to set limits.

If there's any way I can help debug this, do let me know. I'm willing to help in any way I can. Already got wireshark here and y Smoothwall box is essentially a linux based router with all the usual facilities like iptables access and the like.

I installed it. I never experienced any crashes or stability issues, BUT the overall downloading speed never went above 101 kilobytes, though i have 330 kilobytes _dedicated_ bandwith. There was no other program running whatsoever that used bandwith - not even an inactive browser window -, so utorrent had no reason to be this slow. I did not change any connection setting, installed 1.8.1 back, and my DL speed was instantly 330k again.

Any idea why?

I have UL limit set to 12, and see this behavior (with about 1000 seeds and 1000 peers, most with 80-200 msec latency):

30234694tv7.th.png

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6350/30234694tv7.png

@Asagrim: try this:

http://borft.student.utwente.nl/~adrian/torrentphp/torrent.php/OOo_3.0.0_Win32Intel_install_en-US.exe.torrent

it used to utilize 100% bandwidth with previous versions.

I have tried that file, first in 1.8.1 then in 1.9

In 1.8.1 it reached my max bandwith in 5 minutes - though the DL speed was very fluctuating. I deleted the file, installed 1.9 and began to download it again, it reached 255kbps almost instantly, but this was the peak speed until the end. All my other torrents to be dowloaded were paused while testing. This is very confusing. Why does it download my other torrents that slow but a single file this fast, while 1.8.1 makes no difference?

Hi,

Just to report that everything seems to be running fine (no crashes, no freezes, no unusual CPU usage) for me on build 13582 running on an old non-hyper-threading Pentium 4 with Win XP SP3, I live in a region of the world where P2P on TCP is throttled so badly that you just wanna scream at and kick the ISP but you can't because of monopolistic practices.

With uTP running, I have been able to get an overall average of 35-60kbyte/sec for each whole file, compared to 5-20kbyte/sec with just TCP on 1.8.1. And, sometimes I do get peaks of up to 80-120kbyte/sec with uTP, but unfortunately it cannot be sustained. I am on 1mbps downstream and 384 kbps upstream ADSL line, which I think is software-limited by the ISP as my modem connects at 1536kbps/512kbps (down/up speeds).

Seems that when uTP is selected, the UL is maxed to beyond my defined max, and kills my poor 20K UL connection in spite of the uTP theory...

Keeping to the defined limits - IS important until this release is stable, otherwise it may become useless for low UL bandwidth connections.

Also changing of the advanced setup seems to have no effect on the UL limit control until you restart uTorrent. Not sure if calc_overhead has any effect here...

33528674hc2.png

w652.png

Downgrading to previous release for now... :(

Same here, downgrading for a while, as i don't see how i could contribute to the development, i experience no errors, just strange behaviors. By the way, my upload bandwith is about 100kbytes/sec, i was playing with the limits, to try to increase the DL speed in 1.9, with no effort.

Can you run the same ping tests described earlier? http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php … 24#p379324

Also, are you running anything else on your network? P2P apps? Skype (it may be a non-obvious 'super-node')? That blocking UDP connections improved your 1.8.1 speed as well indicates that some other application may be consuming bandwidth. That would also explain 1.9's uTP implementation correctly backing off instead of causing congestion.

Nope. Network us pretty clean. Only thing I use that is UDP is Hamachi but that is idle for 99% of the time, only use it for RDP at specific times. Router traffic daemon also shows that there is hardly any traffic unless I fire up uTorrent or anything else network intensive.

The only thing I can see that might be related is cFosSpeed. OTOH, it gives the same priority to uTorrent TCP-packets as uTorrent UDP packets (L7 is off, so packets priority is based on processname). I also use Comodo Firewall, but the firewall part is disabled.

Ping times for Google.com using TCP only:

Ping statistics for 208.69.34.230:

Packets: Sent = 199, Received = 196, Lost = 3 (1% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 75ms, Average = 38ms

Ping times for Google.com using uTP:

Ping statistics for 208.69.34.230:

Packets: Sent = 304, Received = 303, Lost = 1 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 149ms, Average = 27ms

I should point out that the above isn't representative for anything. Using TCP, my download was 400KB/s down and 140KB/s up. Using uTP 40KB/s down, 4KB/s up (and I waited longer for speeds to pick up).

I also use Hamachi from time to time for Remote Desktop Connection. It uses UDP (tunnels) as well, but I 've never had an issue with that.

AFAIK, there is either something wrong with uTorrent (the logging build freezes uTorrent, hint?) or something with my Windows XP settings. I've tweaked the TCP parameters, but I don't remember seeing anything about UDP ever?

Archived