µTorrent 1.9 alpha 15380

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. He said " Currently I have to upload at high speed (>40kB/s) in order to achieve a descent downloading speed."

What has this to do with accurate stats tracking? the only thing he gives me to understand is that the bigger your ratio, the better you can leech. Is this the case and since another one pointed out that you can edit this. This lead me to the conclusion it has something to do with the speed at which you can download.

Just noticed that in the "remove and delete" confirmation dialog - the name of the torrent(s) be deleted - is not listed . Wasn't it there a version ago ? ... maybe not. Well it should be - so people will be aware of what exactly they are going to delete...

Ok I'm testing now the UTP only thing with "10" instead of 255 and Video streaming is getting shoot right in the foot.

UTP seems to greatly interfer with http streaming with VLC and maybe even VOIP. I get fully distorted picture with lots of squares all over it with a low limit like 1300 kByte/s what's about 60% of my full upload which is 2350 kByte/s.

With the old utorrent I can without problems run a limit of around 1600-1800kB/s since video streaming is usually from 300kB/s to 650kB/s

I fear that this will do more damage then good in the future. You asked me where seems to be the threshold. Well I really don't know other than it works better without UTP.

EDIT: If you need me to run the utorrent with logs. Should I run it with or without video streaming and with 5,10 or 255 settings? What speed limits?

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?3odsi1mwms0

Here are the logs. I had to crash utorrent cuz it froze at end, so if something looks funky at end, you should know that I crashed it. This is with default 255 and no VLC streaming.

@rafi: No, it's never done that. Adding a list of torrents to the popup only serves to make it unnecessarily large (and consequently, annoying). What if the user selects a few hundred torrents to remove? Is the messagebox going to have to list all of them? Or will there need to be some (arbitrary) threshold above which it no longer lists all of the torrents?

If you can't tell what you're deleting, then you're going to need to be more careful. Or just look at the highlighted torrents in the listview again (not exactly difficult to press Esc and read through a more comfortable listview rather than an unformatted block of text on a messagebox).

Still not a feature request thread either.

I'd just like to report some good news with using the latest beta (1.9, build 13910).

I'm currently at my Dad's house and he has a very cheap ADSL modem/Router. Years ago when it was a decent model (it was supplied by the ISP, it later gave up the ghost after many good years of service), torrents were no trouble at all. The service was a 2Mbit service at the time (capped at this rate) and I was able to max it out with ease.

Now the cap has been lifted to about 3Mbit (maximum this line can handle due to distance from exchange), but the cheap router was giving me all sorts of issues. It seemed to have some sort of weird limit on the number of open connections it would allow. uTorrent would report incoming connections and when I did the port-forward test, it would report ok. Then, after about...5mins, the port-forward test would fail. Changing the port and/or resetting the router would allow it to pass, but the same thing would happen after about 5mins.

Similarly, closing utorrent and opening it again would let it pass for about 5 more mins. The end result was the torrents would go painfully slow (often around 10Kb/s, usually less but occasionally would spurt up to maybe 30Kb/s for a few mins then drop back down), even though I'd have a green tick. I tested this by downloading Ubuntu, normally I'd be able to max out my 24Mbit connection (at home) on this, but here it'd be the same thing - about 10Kb/s at most, but averaging around 7kb/s. 56kbps speeds on a 3Mbit connection was not good.

The actual connection was fine, directly downloading files would be effortless and I could easily get about 250Kb/s, sometimes more. As far as I'm aware, the ISP doesn't do any kind of traffic shaping so I put it down to the crappy router (It really is cheap, it doesn't even have a brand and cost something like £15 new) and it's weird port-forwarding stuff.

Anyhoo, to cut a long story short, this beta version of uTorrent doesn't seem to be affected by the router's crappyness, I'm guessing this is the UDP stuff at work. I'm no expert, but I'd assume that the router's limited number of connections only applies to TCP and not UDP, or maybe the protocol works differently, I don't know, all I know is that I'm easily getting 250Kb/s on most decent Torrents thanks to this.

I'm not saying everyone will get better speeds, I'm aware that for most people this build should be slower, I just thought I'd report the happy coincidence of it being faster in this presumably rare case.

Can't wait until I'm back home on my 24mbit.

Ultima:

@rafi: No, it's never done that... make it unnecessarily large ...

well I guess I remembered wrong, I thought it was a bug. Anyway - the idea was to make it "standard" like in M$ explorer - showing the file name when deleting a single file OR a more general message "are you sure you want to delete those X torrents?". So dialog size shouldn't be a problem.

Fair enough.

To clarify, though, it was the "(s)" in your post that made it seem as if any arbitrary amount of torrent names were acceptable. I do agree with your revised expectation, though, and seem to remember requesting this from the devs as well (just can't remember where). *shrug*

Is there a way to make this version act like 1.8.1 concerning seeding/leeching speed ...

I explain myself and i think it apply not just to me... It occured that you download torrent from a non-ratio tracker and want to cut seeding on it to 1 in order to preserve seeding speed on your other active torrent on ratio tracker.

On 1.8.1 doing this was not affecting leeching speed but on 1.9 it does

@Gonzo68: Stop being a leech? That you're on a private tracker is not a valid scapegoat. If you can't be bothered to share back to a particular torrent swarm just because of some dumb criterion like "it's not for a private tracker," then perhaps you shouldn't use the public tracker as a source.

Edit: Reworded a bit.

@Ultima: It occurs i get to grab stuff from public tracker sometimes i could not find on my preferred private one. I've set uTorrent to stop seeding when i reach the default 1.5 or 150 ratio. Thats how i deal with utorrent, sometimes i would edit properties of specific torrent to seed to higher ratio too.

I was just wondering if there is gonna be some specific settings to apply in advanced to behave the same as 1.8.1

I hope not. Thats whats is killing torrents. You should never download faster then you can upload. Thats how it should always be.

I'm I right when I assume that this new UTP protocol will successfully go around the usual ISP limitations like closed ports and such? We have some UMTS providers here 10Mbit/2Mbit but they all limited p2p use so that its practically useless. Only with Bit thief they managed to download something but it was short lived.

Now I got a confirmation that utorrent 1.9.x goes around this and works just fine. Is there a way to detect and separate this protocol again in the future or is it untouchable?

It's ok to download faster than you're uploading, if the cause is predominately because the torrent has more seeds than peers. But that can only be sustained if people stick around to seed AFTER they're done downloading!

I regularly get higher download speeds than upload speeds even on torrents with few seeds because I keep my average upload speed per upload slot above 3 KB/sec and typically below 20 KB/sec. I only have ~126 KB/sec upload speed total...and don't want to upload to just 1 person because they might be a pure leech. While seeding, I'm not so picky...and often I am uploading at >30 KB/sec to 1 person.

Ok I'm testing now the UTP only thing with "10" instead of 255 and Video streaming is getting shoot right in the foot.

UTP seems to greatly interfer with http streaming with VLC and maybe even VOIP. I get fully distorted picture with lots of squares all over it with a low limit like 1300 kByte/s what's about 60% of my full upload which is 2350 kByte/s.

With the old utorrent I can without problems run a limit of around 1600-1800kB/s since video streaming is usually from 300kB/s to 650kB/s

I fear that this will do more damage then good in the future. You asked me where seems to be the threshold. Well I really don't know other than it works better without UTP.

EDIT: If you need me to run the utorrent with logs. Should I run it with or without video streaming and with 5,10 or 255 settings? What speed limits?

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?3odsi1mwms0

Here are the logs. I had to crash utorrent cuz it froze at end, so if something looks funky at end, you should know that I crashed it. This is with default 255 and no VLC streaming.

Can you test this again, with no upload or download rate limits? (both set to "Unlimited")

I know it seems backward, but it might work, and demonstrate that we can improve something.

"Can you test this again, with no upload or download rate limits? (both set to "Unlimited")

"I know it seems backward, but it might work, and demonstrate that we can improve something."

I had no limits on that test and everything was set to default. Its just that I could not reach my max upload with this client cuz UTP seedings seems to be alot slower and it eventually froze up. I cant reach it either on the norma 1.9x without the logging feature which does not freeze up. But my computer is pretty strong. Q9300 with 8GB memory.

In 1.8.1 I can top my max out with just the one seeding torrent. But in 1.9xxx I cant do it with 3 full of leechers.

18.jpg19.jpg

The only different thing from my view perspective is that 1.9 seems to acquire the peers really super fast. Maybe to fast for its own good?

Another thing I should probably ask and tell you. This new uTP shapes itself as I understood. I guess this is done on the ping www.someurl.com basis.

But my connection cant be out pinged when it comes to uploading.

Pinging my ISP on full upload.ping.jpg

uTP is really disconcerting when you are using it for the 1st time.

1/ I remarked for a seeding torrent, the DL speed is +/- 10% of the UL speed limiter.

Ex.: I set 20 kBps as UL for a seeding torrent, DL (uTP) speed is 2 or 2.5 kBps.

2/ When I limit the UL of a seeding torrent to 10 kBps, if it's the only one to seed, uT will push the UL to 20 or 25 kBps, I imagine it's rate balancing.

So for the user lambda, how do you think to "introduce" & explain this new behavior ?

Because I presume many users will think uT is "broken" or wastes bandwidth ressources with uTP (especially for small amount-capped ADSL connections)... :)

Hello,

I have visa ultimate 32 bits and for the moment have no problem with this vrsion, i work with kasprsky internet security 2009 and have all port forwarded.

Just i have a problem with one tracker www.snowtigers.net from version 1.8.1 are write error message " your ip are invalid or not reconize from tracker ( 0.0.0.0 ) !!

with 1.8.0 no problem..

CAn help me please :)

Happy new years

Archived