Custom Startup Scripts for people with wireless routers?

Rapustin

This may be kind of out of the speed loop but I'm just curious if anybody has had any luck optimizing their connection over a wireless router using a custom startup script in the router's administration settings page?

I was looking at the new tofu 12 firmware that came out a few days ago and I noticed that they also have a "standard" script that goes like this that supposedly works wells for BT transfers in general.

echo 4096 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses

echo 512 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh1

echo 2048 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh2

echo 4096 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh3

echo "600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts

Now, has anybody else here made their BT connection even better by customizing their own script according to their connection just like we do with the "speed wizard" that we now have on 1.4? Just wondering what people here have done on the hardware end considering that we already discuss how to tweak our routers to the max with port forwarding and custom firmware and such. I have a 6000/384k up connection and I'm wondering what I can do for the router's startup script to make connections even better.

I have had speed increases using a custom startup script with my linksys wrt54g router running a wired line. My speed per torrent went from 3-10kb/s now averaging around 10kb/s reaching 30kb/s. I am on a 3500/512 cable connection. I also had frequent disconnecting problems, it seemed to solve the problem. I also re-enabled the windows softpub.dll file, helped immensly.

Itsmash, could you post your custom startup script if possible. Currently, I have speeds of also 3-10kb/s per torrent as well and I'm hoping to increase that. I have Linksys WRT54GS with hyperwrt firmware and it currently has the startup script as suggested in the FAQ. Also, could you clarify what softpub.dll is for. Thanks. :)

Itsmash, could you post your custom startup script if possible. Currently, I have speeds of also 3-10kb/s per torrent as well and I'm hoping to increase that. I have Linksys WRT54GS with hyperwrt firmware and it currently has the startup script as suggested in the FAQ. Also, could you clarify what softpub.dll is for. Thanks. :)

I second this.

Yes, i have shaw, and you are right: they do throttle the downloads. My dad's place has telus adsl getting 160kb/s download speed.

My startup script is:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses

echo "600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts

working on tweaking the settings, apparently, so ive read the 1800 is the amount of seconds that the router dumps its buffer. It is set to 30 minutes. Also, apparently increasing the number of connections the router can handle will increase the speed.

As for the softpub.dll file, it contains functions that support encyrption. Go into the command prompt and type these in in the c:\

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 dssenh.dll

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll

regsvr32 sccbase.dll

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll

regsvr32 mssip32.dll

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

That is for windows XP, 2000 doesnt have the sccbase.dll file, my computer hung for a minute doing the initpki.dll file. These are basic windows web files, networking etc. Occasionally they will become disabled, this will re-enable these files.

You can try however, it worked for me, to increase the amount of connected peers, i went from 60 up to 125, global 250, increased my speeds as well. They are now downloading around 20-30kb/s each, ive seen my total up to around 80-90kb/s. I am only running 2 downloads at once. i also increased my upload slots to 6, with the checked on less that 90%,as i wasnt reaching anywhere near my peak upload speed, i was getting maybe 5-9kb/s upload instead of 47 which is what mine is capped at.

Thanks for your suggestion Itsmash but unfortunately I'm already using similar settings.

On a slightly different topic, has anyone noticed performance differences between the various firmwares around? I'm currently using Hyperwrt 2.1b1 from the official website (not tofu or thibor) with the above startup script but I'm thinking of changing to dd-wrt quite soon. I tried dd-wrt once but it almost bricked my router so hopefully this time I'll do it right. Provided that the startup script is always used, does the base firmware matter?

Archived