uTorrent Mac client using 100% CPU

Gimpy2001

i had the same problem on my 2.2GHz Macbook, downloading one torrent at ~1.8MBps, cpu usage was around 98% and the fans were going nuts after just 2 or 3 minutes.

for me, turning off DHT solved the problem; i've been downloading the same torrent at the same speed, but uTorrent is running at 2.3% cpu and has been for the last hour or two.

and no, i don't have PeerGuardian or any of that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Calcadium: It looks like there's multiple bugs regarding 100% CPU usage. You've found one of them. thelittlefire has separate one. Don't tout your fix as the one and only fix to solve the problem. You've posted enough times so if someone has the problem, they can find out what you did now.

Continuing my post (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=379630#p379630):

I've stopped seeding some files (now I'm only seeding 3 files), and I'm using utorrent at my University and it's not using 100% CPU anymore. I haven't done a thing besides that (haven't deleted .plist, haven't turned off DHT, or anything else). I don't know what fixed the problem.

New sample: http://slexy.org/raw/s219mNmf7F

I think I have a build which has this problem fixed. If you're experiencing this 100% CPU issue and would like to test the potential fix, e-mail me and I'll send you a link to the build (click on my nick and use the e-mail form).

• 2 months later...

didnt have the problem with version 0.9.0.4 but utorrent updated to 0.9.1 and it started happening! and nothing i read here helped, thankfully the site still has version 0.9.0.4 for download so i installed that again and everything seems to be back to normal (well now i cant see torrent ratios again but im already used to looking for them in the 'general' area)

ps i think a friend has the same problem since she's been complaining that her computer's been insanely slow lately and she has an older macbook.. and i know she updated to 0.91 as well

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived