Shutdown comp wehn d/l is finished.

winMX_67

Why shut down the computer? To save energy or because you don't want to upload once you got the complete file?

If it is to save energy then maybe the option could be added (my computer is always running anyway) BUT if you are afraid to upload too much, I just made a better suggestion you can read at http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=422

No I mean if you comp is on in the middle of the night d/ling a torrent....you can tell utorrent to shut off the comp to save energy.

Don't foget that you need to also share what you just downloaded a little bit. If everyone was shutting down the client as soon as they got the complete file then torrent would not be useful.

Thus, keeping the computer on until you wake up with a ratio so you don't upload too much and bust you monthly limit would be a much better approach than trying to save 7cents of energy.

if this feature is implemented then there is no excuse to not implement other 100useless features like

I'd also like to see a Exit When Done option (exit µTorrent)...

huh... like it would take too much system resources that it _needs_ to be closed after downloads are ready... or you guys being lazy again?

huh... like it would take too much system resources that it _needs_ to be closed after downloads are ready... or you guys being lazy again?

Some people don't have super Broadband, DSL, or Cable connections okasvi...and are limited to Dial-Up, so they have to leave their computer running overnight to finish a file. We just want a couple of options that will close µTorrent, shutdown our computer, or even Hang Up our Dial-Up connections...so that when the bt file finishes while we are asleep, we know that it will log off and won't be seeding forever when we don't want it to.

See my download manager does these things when I download a lot of files and videos...so that when it finishes I know that its not just sitting there downloading nothing and doing nothing, instead I know it finished and now its closed, offline or it shutdown my computer.

so that when the bt file finishes while we are asleep, we know that it will log off and won't be seeding forever when we don't want it to.

What I said.. to get rid of your word "forever" the WiseRation thing would be perfect so let's say you fix it at 50%, you would have grabed 100% of a file and would would have share 50% of it.

BETTER than 8% and quit ASAP. This way the torrent world will continue to be viable.

You must understand that YOU MUST share the file you are downloading and having a ration you have full control is the best thing.

Sometimes I upload almost as fast as I download so the ratio controller is very usefull these times, I can set it to 75% and will reach the 75% uploaded before the 100% downloaded and I don't have to care.

But some just set upload speed to 5K/s while they download at 200K/s and they sleep around watching when 100% to shut it down and now they want that feature to be automatic. Geesh.

BETTER than 8% and quit ASAP. This way the torrent world will continue to be viable.

You must understand that YOU MUST share the file you are downloading and having a ration you have full control is the best thing.

Well that 8% is going to take me a long time not ASAP....and I do share, I've downloaded 2.00+GB and uploaded 1.00+GB & my uptime (counting azureus and estimating utorrent) is around 14+ days.....so for a dial-up connection I think I'm doing pretty good.

But some just set upload speed to 5K/s while they download at 200K/s and they sleep around watching when 100% to shut it down and now they want that feature to be automatic. Geesh.

Not me...I'm just 5K/s up and 5K/s down, so its waaaaaaaaaaaay different here.

I personally would not use this feature; however, i can understand the plight that dial-up users are placed in when they want to download overnight, but cannot afford or find it impractical to stay connected to the internet all night. Rhialto, you don't seem to realize that your idea of WiseRatio won't help solve this issue, plain and simple. WiseRatio simply tells the torrent when to start, stop, and what speeds it is appropiate to seed; it wouldn't disconnect a user from thier dial-up connections. Also, you don't seem to realize that torrents sometimes last more than 5 mintues, and just becuase a user disconnects from it during the night, it is not impossible for them to return the next evening or during the day. Many users have a large collection of torrents and files that are ready to be reseeded and pick, and the choose what they will share at a certain time. So please, Rhialto, save us the trouble of reading about WiseRatio, there is another thread where it can be discussed.

If you made it to the bottom of this post.. thanks for reading.. if you agree, please reply, and if you don't, reply, but be warned that i love to argue

this is my post on a thread that relates to this feature

id recomend implementing the Bitcomet feature where each torrent is seeded for a percent 50-inf  and adding a shutdown feature so when the task is fully downloaded and reaching the target % it shutsdown the computer, this will allow the torrent to only shutdown once it reaches that % otherwise it would need to be a manual stop.

just a thought.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=422&start=15

If you made it to the bottom of this post.. thanks for reading.. if you agree, please reply, and if you don't, reply, but be warned that i love to argue

1st, welcome, this is your 1st post! And discussion are open to anyone so feel free to add your opinion.

And just stop reading the WiseRatio thread... I added another message in there.

My idea of how this should work is to simply add another box to the (otherwise wonderful) Scheduler. Perhaps named "Shut down", so the computer shuts down at a specific time.

I always use this command in windows cmd: "shutdown -s -t 14400" to leave my computer running for 4 hours when I go to bed.. It would be really sweet to have this built in my favourite torrent client ;)

• 1 month later...

I would also like this feature. To all of you that are agains this feature because you think that you should share at night, then you would like him to remove the feature "Seed while Ration is <=xxx or seeding time is xxx".

I think it would be a great thing to shut down the computer when these rules are fufiled. Then we will save electricity and make the planet earth a better place to live in. (We all know that your electricity come from oil burning facility or by other crapy facilitys with the main target to poison the earth we all live in.)

0.06KW * 8 hours * 30 days * 9.34¢/KWh = $1.34/Month

By turning off your PC overnight (I assume you turn it back on after an 8 hour rest ;)), you should save approximatly $1.34 every month. Not exactly a ton ;)

A "disconnect when ratio reached" option for the dial-up users would be quite handy though...

That's a fairly low calculation. A normal PC consumes more than 60 watts. (The new GPU from ATI consumes more than 150 watts all by itself). And think of what you could save if you were to leave over the weekend. That would make 0.17 * 24 hours * 3 days * 9.34¢/KWh = $1.14/3 days

Archived