UI Bug on Build 13481: Rectangular Toolbar icon does not follow HIG

billatq

The toolbar icons are not full black:

higtoolbar.png

An excerpt from the Apple Human Interface Guidelines:

Designing Icons for Rectangular-Style Toolbar Controls

Icons that look good in rectangular-style toolbar controls are streamlined, black images that convey meaning through outline and contour, not internal detail. Because your icons should echo the appearance of the existing Mac OS X images inside rectangular-style toolbar controls, use the system-provided template images as a guide. As you design an icon for a rectangular-style toolbar control, keep the following points in mind:

* Make the outline sharp and clear

* Use a straight-on perspective

* Use full black and a few shades of gray to suggest dimensionality

* Use anti-aliasing

* Make sure the image is visually centered in the control (note that visually centered might not be the same as mathematically centered)

* Icons for regular-size rectangular-style toolbar controls should measure no more than 19 x 19 pixels.

(http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGIcons/chapter_15_section_9.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000967-SW3)

An example of a rectangular toolbar (address book) with full black:

abtoolbar.png

I think he's referring to the Open and Open URL icons. Which aren't completely black and instead have a slight gradient.

This complies with the section of the HIG he posted, but when placed next to the Start/Stop/Remove buttons while they are grey, it looks lighter then it really is (which would make it grey to grey, not black to grey) and would violate HIG.

• 2 weeks later...

HIG is conveying an idea, not a law. Violating the HIG is not going to get you banned from the Mac platform. It is more of a guide. Lines. Guidelines.

Having said that, I hold an opinion of both icons being illegible, and by that notion -- wrong. What the HIG is trying to do is make devs create readable interfaces.

The globe icon struck me as such only when I have read someone else refer to it as that. Up until that moment it was a weird shapeless blob in my eyes. I now see the error of my ways. :)

The folder icon was meaningless as well. Maybe an expanded folder would be more to the point. That kinda says "open". But the underlying label cleared that up. I should read deeper into the depths of the interface design next time, I suppose. :)

No offence meant, uTorrent team. You're doing a great job.

Archived