Bug: False "startup disk is almost full" message.

blocker85

I was having the same problem with the message popping up saying i was running out of disk space and the torrent would stop with a red X beside it. I have 124GB free so i don't think that is the problem. I had said to skip some of the files in the torrent and that seems to be the problem. To fix it i just force started it and it didn't give me any more hassle or error messages

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The force-starting is random - I've had similar experiences.

But with the latest two sets of torrents that I've been experimenting, nothing that I do actually works to get rid of those annoying "no disk space" error, which makes absolutely no sense.

If I had the choice, I would certainly not skip any of the files so that I can let uTorrent do its job. However, since I have a monthly quota to abide to, I don't exactly have that luxury.

This is a very troubling issue with uTorrent, where I am now (reluctantly) reverting back to Azureus for such torrents.

Confirming Bug.

Errors:

12/22/08 1:12:14 PM KernelEventAgent[36] tid 00000000 received VQ_LOWDISK event (4)

12/22/08 1:12:14 PM KernelEventAgent[36] tid 00000000 type 'hfs', mounted on '/', from '/dev/disk0s2', low disk

12/22/08 1:12:14 PM KernelEventAgent[36] tid 00000000 type 'hfs', mounted on '/', from '/dev/disk0s2', low disk

12/22/08 1:12:14 PM KernelEventAgent[36] tid 00000000 found 1 filesystem(s) with problem(s)

12/22/08 1:12:19 PM uTorrent[3881] **** Posting Msg: BitTorrentError ****

12/22/08 1:12:19 PM uTorrent[3881] Notification: BitTorrentError

Solution:

Do not change priority on any of the downloading files. I had a torrent with two contained files, one set to skip, the other set to high. I changed both back to normal and regularly started the download. I did not get the error after that.

Started downloading a torrent, with some files set to skip downloading, partial retrieval. Anywhere from a few minutes to a few seconds into the downloading the Finder gives a low disk space warning, at which point the downloading of the said torrent stops. Starting download again yields the same result.

I also spared some files in the torrent... the post above gave me the idea of trying to download the whole torrent by setting all priority settings back to normal and it finaly worked without further error messages.

Trying to continue the torrent download with all files priority set to "normal", as per what pseudonym said, so far so good.

Edit: Console did report "bittorrent error" posted by uTorrent at the approximate time of the bug taking place.

uTorrent Version 0.9.0.4 (13906)

Mac OS X v10.5.6 (9G55)

Mac Mini 2GHz C2D 2GB DDR2@667 120GB (15GB free)

I believe the error is more serious that it seems.

I run VMWare in the background while Mac uTorrent is running. When I receive uTorrents out of space error, VMWare reacts in the same way and suspends my virtual machine due to low disk space.

Can uTorrent effect other programs or is it really allocating all space available and giving it back in a blink of an eye once the torrent automatically stops?

May even be a chance of data corruption if its effecting my virtual machine. Meh, such is the risk of beta software.

I have 80GB of space and selected 600MB out of 60GB of files in a torrent. Running 10.5.6

Have the problem noticed it today for first time.

Was running uTorrent and importing music into iTunes at the same time and started to get these false error messages. Many of my files wouldn't complete ripping in iTunes or finish downloading hanging at 99%.

Have a lot of torrents running in the client today, probably only thing I'm doing different.

Macbook 2.4Ghz

4GB RAM

Umm, after shutting down my macbook for the night and resuming my download in the morning, I didn't get any out of space errors.

Only during that time I did two things

1. Before shutdown I found that clicking on start or force start (whichever was available) during the download postponed the error however I needed to do this often.

2. the shutdown.

Same problem here (10.5.4, uTorrent 0.9.0.4, plenty of free space)

Here's the error message that showed up around the same time in the error console:

12/31/08 6:39:12 PM uTorrent[295] An instance 0x23fd60 of class PrefsController is being deallocated while key value observers are still registered with it. Observation info is being leaked, and may even become mistakenly attached to some other object. Set a breakpoint on NSKVODeallocateBreak to stop here in the debugger. Here's the current observation info:

<NSKeyValueObservationInfo 0x16ac5130> (

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2a66c0: Observer: 0x27edb0, Key path: uploadRateLimitAuto, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a27a0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2a6bb0: Observer: 0x27edb0, Key path: uploadRateLimitedManual, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a6b90>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2a6f80: Observer: 0x27edb0, Key path: uploadRateLimitManual, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a66e0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2a72d0: Observer: 0x27edb0, Key path: seedRatioLimited, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a6bd0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2a7570: Observer: 0x27edb0, Key path: seedRatio, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a6fa0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2a7860: Observer: 0x27edb0, Key path: downloadRateLimited, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x292b00>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2a7bb0: Observer: 0x27edb0, Key path: downloadRateLimit, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a7620>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2e88a0: Observer: 0x22e470, Key path: autoAddTorrentFiles, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2f0f50>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x2f1a00: Observer: 0x22e470, Key path: autoAddFolder, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2f1290>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x16abbb00: Observer: 0x16aaa2c0, Key path: uploadRateLimitAuto, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a27a0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x16abbb60: Observer: 0x16aaa2c0, Key path: uploadRateLimitedManual, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a6b90>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x16abbb20: Observer: 0x16aaa2c0, Key path: uploadRateLimitManual, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a66e0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x16abbb40: Observer: 0x16aaa2c0, Key path: seedRatioLimited, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a6bd0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x16a56f80: Observer: 0x16aaa2c0, Key path: seedRatio, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a6fa0>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x16a56fa0: Observer: 0x16aaa2c0, Key path: downloadRateLimited, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x292b00>

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x16abf740: Observer: 0x16aaa2c0, Key path: downloadRateLimit, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x2a7620>

)

• 2 weeks later...

"The message in the Console has nothing to do with the bug." - sounds like the mods have at least a slight clue about the problem? perhaps we can hope for a fix in the next one? :D

no, seriously, this is by far THE MOST IRRITATING bug... please just focus on this thing alone for the next release... everything else is fine... just get rid of this stupid bug... please!

All i know how to do is read - what kjk says (which is that uTorrent dumps state data into the Console, not debug data :)) and the logs themselves, which is just grabbing a bunch of objects from an array after being given the keys that correspond to them (which is a very brief and bad overview of KVO coding).

And i imagine that this is being worked on (I don't work for Bittorrent so i cant say for sure though. So don't quote me on that.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived