µTorrent causes broadband connection to break

MusicBringer

Hello, here is a problem I cannot solve.

I am finding that µTorrent 1.4 (and 1.2.2) causes the broadband connection to break.

Allow me to explain. My XP Pro SP2 desktop is running off a Netgear wireless router using a Netgear USB adapter. All programs work well, including browsing the net with Firefox.

When I load µTorrent, it fires up ok. Starts connecting to the uploads and downloads ok. But gradually after a couple of minutes the torrent up and down rates fall - and then the internet connection fails. It goes red and it breaks.

Automatically the PC reconnects to the internet, only to repeat the process, torrents are fired up, then gradually drop links and eventually break the internet connection.

I have port forwarding set up and tested ok in 1.4.

I should be grateful if you would help me please. :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... it could have been that your router is weak and

can't handle the round-robin connection method that 1.4 has.

Hello boo, thanks for offering help :)

However, it is a new netgear router and usb adapter. It works well with all other programs and browses in firefox ok.

Any other ideas please :)

Can I ask who your ISP is?

EDIT: Never mind, i can see it's blueyonder. The same thing happens to me with Pipex and a USR9106 router.

For suggestions, Try lowering the max connections.

Hello Sanchez, thanks for your suggestion. I just tried it out I lowered from 150 down to 100, and each lowered from 80 down to 70. It broke the link on the router.

Tried again, lowering from 150 down to 50, and 80 down to 50. It broke :(

No other download mechanism stresses your router more than BitTorrent. So "it works well with all other programs and browses in Firefox ok" doesn't really show its weaknesses. And quite a few members here have had trouble with NetGear before... :/ Also, USB is a big no-no in terms of reliability of your connection. So I'm afraid you'll have to lower your connections as the others said, and possibly turn off DHT as well. :/

No other download mechanism stresses your router more than BitTorrent. So "it works well with all other programs and browses in Firefox ok" doesn't really show its weaknesses. And quite a few members here have had trouble with NetGear before... :/ Also, USB is a big no-no in terms of reliability of your connection.

ok. Not what I wanted to hear, but I understand.

So I'm afraid you'll have to lower your connections as the others said, and possibly turn off DHT as well. :/

My settings are still default. I have tried lowering connections from 150 to 50, and turning off DHT. It still breaks :|

Same MusicBringer, I feel your pain.

yeah, bleedin' hurts dunnit..!! Thanks for your concern Sanchez :)

i think we are going to need to get new routers.

yeah but I went to the trouble of getting a proper one. Changing to DLink or LinkSys or whatever they're called won't make matters better. They're all the same. :|

Is the USB so bad..??

Here is some more information.

Yesterday µTorrent was working well. I was very happy with downloads. It was coz I had setup Port Forwarding. In order to setup port forwarding, I had to set a static ip address. Did all that, and it worked well.

This morning I got the internet break problem I have described in this thread. There was no sign of it yesterday.

I am on telewest blueyonder cable, and I understand they change your ip address. It is not constant. Therefore the static address I setup yesterday was no good this morning.

As the ip address is gonna change everyday, I setup Port Triggering (instead of port forwarding).

Since setting up port triggering I am getting this internet break problem.

Is there a connection (sorry..!! no pun intended.)

Am I getting the internet breaks coz I am now using port triggering?

I cannot go back to port forwarding coz my ip address changes each day :|

You can use DHCP just fine with port forwarding. :| Port triggering messes things up, and I'm not even sure if it's supported. :P When your modem/router asks you for an IP Address:

Start ▶ Run...

cmd /k ipconfig/all

Use the number you see at your IP Address. :)

Doh! Can it be µTorrent? What I have observed since a few days is that my Xfire disconnect a few times in the day. I never thought µTorrent could be the problem ,I thought it was the latest version of Xfire that was maybe the problem but have done no test at all to solve it yet.

Just to bring to up-to-date with what I've done. :)

I didn't need a static address after all. So I've switched off the port triggering and setup port forwarding. I think that helped a lot :cool:

Telewest, my ISP, sent me a "hit" to refresh my modem. They said that should stop the router cutting out. It seems to work ok now.

Things have been better today, although after a few hours I think it all got a bit too warm as it began to die, so I switched off and will have another go tomorrow.

How do I put the µT settings back to default - I've tweaked things so much I don't know what they should be..!!

Let me say thank you all for your help. It is most reassuring to know you are there, coz I dunno what I am doing half the time..!! :rolleyes:

Archived