µTorrent causes broadband connection to break

MusicBringer

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have been a bitorrent user for some time until recently when a mate suggested i give u torrent ago (1.4), wow what a difference, speeds lots faster than before. then u torrent caught the disconnection disease and now i feel dirty. As i am a newbie there is a lot of mumbo on this forum about things i should do to stop the drop.

can some one please simplify how to rectify this problem or is there no cure to this illness as yet?

should i change to an older version and if so how is this done?

Please help me....i'm dying out here.

jeff Australia

Yeah well, unfortunately i'm going to have to throw in the towel.

I stick by what I said before though....... µtorrent is (or was) an excellent piece of software, I just can't justify using a program that isn't totally predictable - especially when it's non-essential like a bittorrent client.

The newer versions give me a terrible connection even before my network dies (spikey graph that struggles to get above 10KB/s up or down) and even v1.3 is shutting down my modem now.

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

It is NOT my modem or anything to do with my broadband connection, i'm 100% confident about that now.

Something is wrong with the way µtorrent is doing business.

I can read enough instances of this behaviour at this forum to confirm that.

Maybe you guys need to implement some broader pre-release testing amongst a variety of O/S and equipment types, although I guess maybe that's where we the users come into it?

But you have to take some notice of the problems.

You can't just tell people their router is crap or to disable DHT, forever!

I've tried six different clients since making my original post on this thread.

All of them worked absolutely perfectly without any ill effects on my Internet connection.

To prove a point, "BitVomet" is running right now with seven torrents - each using "150" connections, DHT enabled, the lot!

The Max half-open is at "20" and i've had it much higher than that.

There's nothing I can do to make it shut down my Internet connection.

Bolstered by the fact that i've been running this setup for two years now as I said before, nothing has once shut my connection down before these latest versions of µtorrent. :cool:

This for example =

OK, most of you are wondering if the BitComet ban will be lifted here, and the answer is no, and it will most likely never be unbanned here.

Most of you think BitComet is "faster" than other clients, but what u don't know is the reason why.

The reason why is because of its countless "cheating like" characteristics, for example:

# it hamers the tracker, and pays no attention to the tracker when it tells the client how long to wait before re-announce.

# when it gets snubed by another peer (basically meaning the peer refuses to give the BC client any upload because it has not been given any download from the BC client, the BC client then disconnects up to 10+ times per second to that client in an attempt to get unsnubed.

# It has no (working) upload slot limit, so it makes the upload bandwith so streached out that each peer only gets a few 100 bytes per second or less.

# The new encrypt header feature in BC 0.60 gave it a very unfair advantage and would basically prefer itself over uploading to other tpyes of clients. (afaik, uTorrent is working on a similar feature, but will be making it public information, so that all other clients can implement it if their authours wish to; this is the only real way for this to be effective)

# If you request too many pieces from it (something around 100? or so), it drops ALL your requests.

# It also abuses super-seeding by disconnecting and reconnecting to get a slot, and basically monopolize the super-seeder's bandwidth.

# It has an abusive multi-tracker implementation (announces to all trackers in all tier always).

# It also does stupid things when making torrents (such as not use UTF-8 as the encoding for chinese, japanese, and korean users that make torrents)

should i change to an older version and if so how is this done?

jeff Australia

Nope. Hello Jeff, I found you get "touched" when you use µT1.4. Going back to an earlier version - I tried 1.2.2 and also 1.3 - you still get the chop.

I even restored an old image of my os drive and used an old version of µT.

No, 1.4 "does something" that the PC remembers and even now going back to older versions it still cuts-off :(

I suggest you try getting a new router

It is a brand new router.

...or not using it at all (connect directly to the modem) :D

Sorry, but No. That's not an option here in this house. If it was feasible to do that I would have swapped over long before now :)

With all the other folk with the same/very similar issue, I am beginning to think I should consider swapping torrent software not my hardware. :|

Sometimes µTorrent just works for people, sometimes it doesn't. What can you do? Nothin'. :| If it's not working out for you, use another client like Azureus/Mainline/BitPump. It's as simple as that. And do everyone a favor and don't use BitVomit (or its derivatives, like BitLord etc.) for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. :/

Did you change ports after changing versions?

Nope. I use default settings with default port :)

Maybe you have residual connections from peers still attempting to connect to you from when you were using 1.4. Again, I have no clue if that's the case, just tossing out ideas.

I've rebooted many times, and even restored the os from a previous good image.

As chaosblade said

This is really confusing.

I know :|

Well, this happened to Sanchez a while back. Turns out his USR modem (or router?) was taking a dive, so he's getting a new one. :P Really, if it's happening to you on all versions, it's more than likely that something's gone wrong with your hardware. :/

Besides, Netgears are known to cause problems (yes even with Azureus).

Is the router wireless only or is it a combo router?

Did you change ports after changing versions?

Nope. I use default settings with default port :)

It's recommended to change the default port setting because of crap ISP throttling. Some users and some private trackers even block clients using the default ports. Not saying this was the cause of this particular problem' date=' but it may lead to future obstacles.

Also, this thread may help with your current problem: [url']http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=4972

I have an SMC Barricade 7004 VBR router. I know it's el cheapo but it has worked fine for the past few months since I bought it. Or at least it worked fine until I upgraded to uTorrent 1.4, since then it keeps freezing every day or even more often. My ADSL line is very slow, 512/96 kb/s, so I do not run more than 2 torrents at any given time. All relevant settings are on default, I use Windows 2000 Professional. After struggling with 1.4 ever since it came out, yesterday I reverted to 1.3 and deleted all config and other settings, too. Now I wonder what will happen since some people complain that downgrading to a previous version does not help.

Whatever the result, I think there must definitely be something weird with 1.4 if so many people complain of freezing routers with 1.4 while the very same routers had no problems with any other client, uTorrent or other. Ludde, you must know best what you changed in 1.4 so you must also know what is new in 1.4 that keeps stressing the routers beyond their capacities. Is there really no remedy?

Archived