µTorrent causes broadband connection to break

MusicBringer

You gave the key word here, 'cheap'. Cheap routers cant handle a large number of connections appearntly. As for why 1.4 does and 1.3 does not.. Im not entirely sure. Maybe the default settings changed, maybe the new round-robin method for cycling peers, maybe DHT. Definitly try running without DHT and see if your router still freezes.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a netgear WGT624, and a utorrent user since 1.2

Since I installed utorrent 1.4, I have noticed that it crashes my router on the following situations:

- A torrent finishes downloading and proceeds to seed

- I cancel a torrent, and happens whether I delete or not the data/torrent file

It does not crash if I pause the torrent

My router has seldom crashed in the past and I can very accurately track the start of the behavior to the installation of 1.4.. I have thought of going back to 1.3, but I really want the RSS features..

It's probably due to the new round-robin method used instead of the 50/50 of previous versions...some modems/routers simply can't handle it. :/ There's a thread somewhere where you can pitch your support towards including both methods and making it use-selectable. Other than that, there's not much you can do. :|

chaosblade:

Cheap does not necessarily mean crap and no other BT client has ever made my router freeze, including earlier versions of uTorrent. DHT is always off as I use only private trackers. The number of total connections seldom exceeds 40. But the point is: before 1.4 my cheap router never froze, although then I sometimes ran 3 or even 4 torrents simultaneously - the problems with 1.4 forced me to limit the number of active torrents to 1 in the first place.

(N.B. I'm no leecher. I use another machine with a much faster line and without a router for improving my ratio from time to time. My machine at home - the one with the router - is used only for leeching from the same trackers. One more example why the DL speed limitation is a bad idea but that's another story...)

1c3d0g:

Making the method user selectable (Round Robin or 50/50) is a good idea. Do you happen to remember where the thread is? I can't find it.

1c3d0g: Thank you for the link to the thread!

Firon: net.max_halfopen is on default (8) as it has ever been. Which value do you suggest? Or just trial and error?

I'm sorry to hear Ludde won't make the switch. I hope the delay will work or else I'll have to stay with 1.3. It has been running for 34 hours now without freezing my router.

Anyway, I think a program should take into consideration the capabilities of the hardware people are using. I wonder what method Azureus and all the other BT clients out there use but either they use the Round Robin method in a better fashion or they use other methods with similar good results/speed.

Does the patch have any benefits other than eliminating the limit on max. pending connections? I have Windows 2000 which does not have this limitation. Well, and you said I should lower net.max_halfopen from the current value of 8 so why the patch? - provided it can be used for Windows 2000.

Now I'll wait and see if my router freezes with 1.3.

50 hours now without freezing.

123 hours now.:) So my problem seems to be solved by downgrading to 1.3 but I hope there'll be some solution so I'll be able to use the new features of the newer versions.

Firon: Any news about the workaround (option to configure the number of connections per second)?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem - my wireless connection to the router disconnects and that happens only when the newly added torrent are alocating space.

For example yesterday I added 4 torrents with total size 24.4GB - uttorent started allocating space for them and like for 15 minutes I had about 10-15 connection drops (in the status bar there was hard usage and procents). After successfully allocating space till now there wasn't even one disconnect (24 hours running/downloading). And I am 101% sure that there will be no more disconnects till the end of the downloading.

You can see my problem here - http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=5820

But this time there isn't error message in the event viewer, cause I stopped the Computer Browser Service.

I've tried to solve the problem with DHT turned off + net.max_halfopen=5 + net.low_cpu=false.

Been using Bitcomet & Azureus - no problem with them.

Any suggestions?

• 6 months later...

The fact that admins seem to blame 8/10 of these internet disconnect issues on "cheap" hardware tells me that they really have no idea what demographics a bit-torrent program is really aimed at. Utorrent will go nowhere if you're going to target a small number of users who happen to have the high quality router, particularly when there are other solutions out there working at the moment with the same hardware.

I'd rather invest an additional $100 in my gpu/cpu/ram if my router is fine with everything else. When the torrent program is off at least I get other benefits from my investment (gaming, encoding). I like the Utorrent idea, but these ignorant responses (even if expensive routers work) are akin to Creative Labs ignorance of their Audigy series broken driver/cards causing crackling/poping.

My torrent program is NOT going to be the measurement of what hardware I buy.

Yeah, a lot of people have bad routers, but the workarounds work fine for most of them. If they don't, then you obviously have a *terrible* router. Simple enough, and if you want to stick with that *terrible* router, then fine, it's up to you, but don't expect much more out of torrenting.

Limit half-open connections to only 4-8.

Limit bt.connect_speed to 10-20.

Limit torrents to only 1-2 at a time.

Use fewer than 100 TOTAL connections, though you can allow all of them for 1 torrent if you want. If you're using D-Link or Belkin routers, you may need to set total connections no higher than 50-60!

Limit upload speed to only about 50-70% of your connection's SUSTAINABLE max (not its PEAK max). This may vary immensely throughout the day/week, so you may need to use Scheduler to get the most out of it.

Limit TOTAL upload slots so EACH upload slot can get at least 3 KB/sec and 20 KB/sec at most. This may be a hard one to understand...but for example if you determine that 20 KB/sec upload speed is appropriate for your line (because you're limited to 256 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth), then you should have only 6 upload slots total. So if you run 2 torrents at once, then upload slots PER torrent should be 3.

If you use Scheduler, limit your # of connections, # of torrents, and # upload slots based on the SLOWEST upload/download speeds.

Disable UPnP, DHT, resolve ips, and show country flags.

Try setting net.low_cpu to true if you still have problems.

Set peer.lazy_bitfield to true if it isn't.

Enable Encryption and allow legacy connections...if that doesn't help, FORCE encryption and DON'T allow legacy connections.

The goal is, fewer total connections but better speeds from each connection. I've heard of T-3/OC-3 lines (with 45 megabits/sec down+up!) keeping their upload maxed and download >1 MB/sec with fewer than 100 connections, so more connections isn't neccessary even when you don't have problems.

Archived