Problems with two torrents using the same directory

Bunnyh

An example of the problematic situation I encounter usually would be this:

Torrent A has RAR files and a NFO file at \location\ downloaded 100% completely. Torrent B, which has a NFO file and the unpacked version of torrent A's RAR-packed file, is loaded into uTorrent. Torrent B's download directory is the same as torrent A's, so to not mess around I uncheck the box that start's the loaded torrent automatically. After that, I change the location of the unpacked file for torrent B to the location where I have unpacked torrent A's RAR files. That location is on a wholly different disk and should have nothing to do with \location\. I also set the only other file on torrent B, the NFO file, to be skipped.

After that, my logic would say that torrent B should have no reason to mess with \location\, even though that is it's general download directory. The only file that still is set to go there is also set to be skipped, and already exists there anyway. But that does not seem to prevent torrent A from somehow noticing that the part containing the NFO file (and the beginning of the first RAR file) should be re-downloaded, even though those files really are untouched. What is going on here? After I re-check torrent A, and re-download the "missing" 0.1-0.2%, things seem to work fine. But I could still unpack the RAR files and read the NFO files correctly while torrent A is thinking that it's only 99.8-99.9% complete. I thought that setting torrent B to not download any of the files that are already downloaded by torrent A might eliminate this problem, but it did not change anything.

I you save your 2 torrents in different folders, even if the NFO is the same, you need to duplicate the NFO in 2 copies.

In addition your "pbm" is about edge piece: uT discards edge pieces overlaying a complete file and an ignored file during the forced re-check. it's a normal behavior.

Anyway if you dont start the torrent after the recheck, your complete files appearing like uncomplete (99% or stg like that) are physically present and not broken.

BUT if you start the torrent job, uT will redownload the missing edge pieces.

The problem is that torrents (the "A" types) just suddenly pop out and state that they are not completely downloaded, and completely stop seeding until I force them to re-download the "missing" bits. So to clarify things even more, I do not touch torrent A in any way after loading torrent B. Somehow just setting torrent B's download directory to torrent A's directory messes up something, even though torrent B should not be writing anything to that directory, and so torrent A should not notice any changes (because there should not be any). I understand that the ignoring of downloaded data in the first RAR file happens because that part of the file is also the part containing the NFO file, but why does it suddenly lose those parts on it's own, even when the files are clearly unchanged?

As I stated in my first post, "[...] so to not mess around I uncheck the box that start's the loaded torrent automatically". No files are created this way, and if the loaded torrent's download directory does not already exist, it is not created upon loading either. I double-checked that. Things only begin happening after I manually start the torrent, and before that I change the location of the unpacked file, and set the NFO file to be skipped. This way, nothing is written to those files in the download directory which "torrent A" is also using, and if I do not have a "torrent A" that uses the same directory, it is not even created before starting "torrent B" manually. In such a situation, "torrent B" would be seeding the one file it has been set to download from the manually assigned location, and create a uTorrentPartFile in the downloaded directory. But if there IS a "torrent A" that is using that same directory, it magically loses 0,2% of it's data in the middle of seeding. Why does the creation of the uTorrentPartFile cause that?

Well then, is there no way to have two torrents use the same download directory, without having this problem? As this also happens even when there should be no PartFiles (when both torrents A and B have no files ignored, and all the files they have been set to download are 100% downloaded at the locations set in them), I can't think of any other workaround than just changing torrent B to download it's NFO file (or place the PartFile if I ignore the NFO) in a different directory. Or just run the tedious re-checks, which will take ages with 50GB+ torrents over a network mounted drive.

Archived