Idea for remote uTorrent use

WinMacLin

We have the webUI for uTorrent which is in itself pretty great however it's not a native application and it can take a long time to open a browser from a cold start and the UI is unresponsive sometimes and adding new torrents is clunky. Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down the webUI it's great for what it is but I feel it's limited by the constraints of what you can do inside a web browser.

So my idea is inside uTorrent include a setting for remote control of another uTorrent.

So in your main uTorrent (that you would usually use to download with) you go in to the webUI menu and activate it as normal and perhaps tick a box allowing other uTorrents to remote in (?). But on your other uTorrent (uTorrent with this new feature) you put in the remote information just like you would do in your browser and this 'converts' the uTorrent in to Remote Connection mode. It acts just as a uTorrent would normally except it forwards all newly added torrents to the other uTorrent and shows you information from that other uTorrent in its main window.

I was thinking that a button could be added somewhere on the UI that can easily convey to the user if its connected remotely and using remote resources or if its in local mode and that the webUI information necessary for the connection is saved automatically (by user choice) so people who continually use this feature can have it be the default setup for their uTorrent when they open it.

The reasons behind this are obvious. Being able to double click a .torrent file anywhere on my system and have it send to my remote machine that does my downloading/seeding. And also being able to monitor my torrent progress in something a little more responsive and powerful then the current Web system. I know there is a Native app that can do this (A separate application by a 3rd party) but I think it would be a lot better if it was built in.

Anyway I hope someone likes the idea I think personally it would be pretty great and if its done as transparently as I imagine it (Where you wouldn't even notice a difference between a uTorrent in Remote mode compared to local mode) that it would help to increase uTorrents appeal amongst seedbox users and server administrators that distribute large patches and other files.

Thanks for reading.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=44012

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=42848

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=49231

Seen these yet? The point is that WebUI is more than just a way to control the torrents via a browser. Anything that can perform HTTP requests and parse JSON can control µTorrent -- native applications included. Granted, all of those applications actually require .NET, but it's not a rule of thumb that it would be required, provided someone took the time to code it in C++ or some unmanaged programming language.

What does it all mean? That it can be relegated to being a community project. The only thing left to do would be to expand the WebUI's (currently limited) functionality.

I think your missing what I mean thelittlefire. I don't want a uTorrent to link to a webUI that opens in a browser. I want 1 uTorrent to be able to remotely operate another uTorrent. Again I use a Mac and all the other remote GUI's are for Windows.

The only reason I bring this up now is because you guys finally have a Mac version and if the Mac version could control the Windows version I would be able to run uTorrent on my Mac but have all my downloads handled by my remotely accessible Windows version.

I don't really see why you guys aren't getting it, I outlined it very well.

... The WebUI controls whatever uT you want it to. It's already built in. What you're not getting is there isn't need for ANOTHER way to connect to a remote uTorrent when the WebUI (generic name for the connection to the backend) exists. All you lack is either the desire to check out a frontend you like, or the experience to see which suits you.

I've already tried the WebUI's avalible. And none of them enable me to double click a .torrent on my computer and have it load in to my remote uTorrent automatically. Because they are in a browser! (I did make this clear already). The 3rd party applications that CAN do this are for WINDOWS ONLY. I use a Macintosh meaning they are completely useless to me.

However, if uTorrent was to support this functionality built in I could happily use the Mac uTorrent to control a Windows uTorrent. I don't see what the big deal is, this is a great feature that would be amazing to have. Can you imagine all the seedbox users who hate using uTorrent because they are on a Mac or Linux and there only option for control is the WebUI (which is very basic). If they could use a native application on their operating systems that acted just like a normal client it would really boost uTorrents profile. In my opinion.

Archived