Let Me Make The Window Smaller!!

danistyping

Simple one guys!

You are competing with programs like Transmission, which lets me make it a third the size of what you let me make your program. This will make the program more functional for more people - we don't all use spaces and expose the same way!

This has been enough to discourage me from using utorrent until the next update.

Specs: iMac - Core2Duo 2.66ghz, 4gbRam, 500gbHD

I'm going to have to agree with everybody else. I, too, used a small transmission window. Actually, I had the option turned on where it fit the window size to the amount of torrents, which was a rather nice feature. Another thing that'd be great is if it would remember where I put it so that when I re-open it, it opens in the same spot.

Yeah...I started this thread because I want the CHOICE to make the window smaller. Even if I leave out a bunch of information. Let me choose to do it.

Yes, transmission doesn't display as much info, but thats not the point. If I want transmission to get tiny, I can do it. done. end of story. I don't need to know anything else.

I agree that once uT has all the windows features it will be superior, but I'd like this option added as well....it seems that many agree with me. What say you moderator!?

Also to NoOneButMe - if he had more than one torrent going, he could just drag the window size a little bigger (a half an inch or so) to show both torrents. Again - the CHOICE. This is not a bad UI move, its a good one!

Well... GUI and eye candy is rarely the first thing implemented. Also if you look at the layout of the window of the various torrent clients, you'll see differences in presentation...for which uT tends to be more horizontal than vertical. When I first opened the beta, well I was happy and sad, because everything fit in the window OOTB and because I lost my column setup.

I just hope when this happens the problems making the window infinitely small don't crop up :D

A shout out to the mods, I'd really like all of these aggregated into one UI thread, because they are all related, and very tightly. The question of the window size, and the appearance of the info panel are very tightly coupled together, and can't just be discussed in a gazzilion different places coherently.

Please use the merge option if there is one, or think of something else along the same vector.

Thank you, you're doing a great job keeping the forums clean and friendly.

Edit: English not a native language, sorry if I come off as an ässhøle.

It would actually be better off if that thread were actually split up, as per the forum rules. Would make discussing of each particular feature easier. Besides which, most (if not all) non-Windows-specific feature not yet found in the Mac version will most likely make their way into the Mac version some time in the future -- that's the plan, so there really isn't much of any point in requesting them over (which that thread does a lot of).

Indeed it's somewhat smaller in my display, but for that dimension yes... How small do you want it?

Personally due to the tabular nature of the uT interface I think asking... for less width has much less merit than height, so something akin to the Transmission minimal display with two rows + status bar (sidebar optional) is the limit IMO.

Here's what I don't get: why does there HAVE to be a limit? How does it affect anyone else if you want your personal torrent window to be small? It's not like it has an effect on functionality. Just because it can get smaller doesn't mean everyone has to make it smaller; some of us just like it better.

... because GUIs tend not to be useful as zero-size on a (relatively large) canvas?

Thank you for not contributing anything to the discussion about the reduction in minimum size of the main window.

Given the changes made between only .90 and .90.1, I'd imagine this is relatively easy to accomplish as soon as they decide what the minimum will be. Right now, minimum is 4 torrents + Details pane; 11 without. You see the problem of course, the minimum size is at least 1 torrent + the minimum Details pane (smallest screen estate is the General tab with roughly 5 lines of data.

Well, if in your opinion I didn't contribute anything to it, in my opinion there shouldn't even be a discussion, and the fact that the utorrent internal team is being so closed minded about it is what really surprises me. You've got a large majority of the users who say that it's important to them that the window be smaller, in a place specifically meant for that type of discussion. Some people don't like the details pane, so they don't use it. People who don't use the details pane shouldn't have to be hampered by its considerable size (I personally think it's great). Also, the GUI doesn't do anything once you've loaded a torrent in it, therefore it is just as useful when it's "zero-size". Oh, and I actually agree with you about resizing; width doesn't bother me. The height is what I wanna make smaller.

For the record, thelittlefire is a general user on the forums and is not associated with the development of utorrent anymore then you are.

However, wouldn't it make more sense to hide uTorrent completely rather then make the window smaller? If it really is "zero-size" then its removed completely, no? Just to try and understand your argument correctly - i can see where you're coming from - the minimum size of uTorrent *is* much larger then most other mac apps.

Archived