Let Me Make The Window Smaller!!

danistyping

the details bar is fine... but the width can be easily reduced to more delightful levels if every torrent's info can be arranged partially vertically and partially horizontally?

right now, its all column based... such a change (an optional mini-mode) wouldnt be much of a drastic code-revamp right? just arranging info... in fact, getting rid of the columns altogether and keeping a big rectangular block for each torrent and arranging its info inside it neatly (like transmission :D) will be so fabulous

also, global stats like total dls and uls till date are a must... they can be put on the left side of the status bar which is empty-area right now...

right now, its all column based... such a change (an optional mini-mode) wouldnt be much of a drastic code-revamp right? just arranging info... in fact, getting rid of the columns altogether and keeping a big rectangular block for each torrent and arranging its info inside it neatly (like transmission ) will be so fabulous

I think that would be awful, I hate the transmission UI.

I think that would be awful, I hate the transmission UI.

So what. Just don't use this feature -_-

I like the UI too, but respect the other choice.

Anyway, I like Transmission UI too, maybe I could use both UI depending of my use.

If I've many torrent, I'll use uT UI, else I'll use Tranmission UI.

Could sounds greeeeat :)

So what else is essential in the layout to keep a minimal UI? Don't say "like Transmission", because it means you don't know or really care about what your client looks like. Please at least have some pride in your client :P

I think the bars of uT are essential, and even the multiple tabs... but then what is the UI distilled to, a "download bar"... not very informative IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has essentially branched into two schools of thought in UI design. To be honest, I'm right in the middle, I LOVE the way uTorrent looks as is. It's the most functional replacement for Azureus as a power user. The issue I have is that even in it's current beta-state uTorrent is by far the fastest torrent client on the mac so I also want my fiancee to use it and she only needs to know the bare minimum. Exactly what the mini Transmission window can show.

All that being said, in my opinion, this isn't even close to the time for the development team to be using resources on creating an alternative user interface when the current one does everything it needs to.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that iTunes and uTorrent perform vastly different functions.

It's quite possible to control music (play/pause, fast forward/skip backwards and go forward/back in songs) from that one window. The only thing you can do from that window is pause/start all the torrents at once.

Just because a UI works in one application doesnt mean it automatically works in aonther.

There is absolutely no reason not to see usefulness in a mini-mode for uTorrent. You are blatantly ignorning the desire others have shown for the idea. Their desires are valid and in no way infringe upon your use of the program.

An observational mini-mode makes good sense. Being able to monitor your torrents in a small display of only the most pertinent information while using other applications has it's place.

Yes, iTunes and uTorrent perform different functions. However, design ideas can easily transfer between the two as they both start and stop the action of a file. While one plays music and the other manages torrents, there is actually quite a great deal of similarity in their management.

Open your mind.

Stop assuming I'm a closed minded retard simply because i dont like the idea of having a window consist of nothing more then a "start" or "stop" icon that alternates when pressed.

Because that's what iTunes zoom functionality would look like with uTorrent. And that is incredibly irrelevant and pointless to implement. The developers have better things to spend time on.

So, being uTorrent a client that advertises itself as a highly efficient and lightweight, you've come to the point of arguing that too little information available in the UI is bad ? Really ?

There's always both sides of the coin is this discussions, and you should just remember that not everyone thinks like you. Myself, I'd probably still use uT UI as is right know. But thinking about it, why the hell should I need much more information than the minimal progressbar/start/stop ? If I want to see the number of seeds I'll just do it, I don't need it present at all times. The torrent will download as quickly either way.

So, stop arguing that something is irrelevant and pointless just because you think it is, and don't assume what the developers should do. As a developer myself, I/they have the final word, and it's our goal as developers to create a pleasant and functional application. If they think they should do it, they will. If not, they'll just scratch that and life will go on either way :)

Please don't misread what I'm saying. I'm not saying a minimal interface isn't needed (though simply letting the window be made smaller, hiding the sidebar and the info bar would be a very good minimal interface).

I'm saying that showing *no* information is pointless. Having a single window with a single button (and not showing *any* info about torrents at all) does nothing but stopping or starting all torrents is pointless.

iTunes zoom mode works great for iTunes. But its UI can't be copied over to uTorrent directly and work.

I'm a new torrent user for Mac and I just found uTorrent :D Right now, I have 1 torrent downloading in uTorrent. The window is much too big for it. Perhaps a mini version would include things like;

- torrent title

- download bar

- download rate

- upload rate

These are the basic info I need. Perhaps the size of iTunes when in zoom mode? And maybe the window scales down bigger when another torrent file is added? Like something in Transmission.

Or if not, then being able to minimize the uTorrent window will also be good :)

I think the important thing is to be able to make the window smaller. Sometimes, I just want to see the bar loading. Sometimes, I just want to see the ETA.

All the best uTorrent devs! :)

I find the window size adequately flexible. I'm personally interested in adding more columned data about files in the queue and D/Ling. I found Transmission woefully lacking in state information and Azureus woefully saturated with it, making each less likable in its way. Conversely, I'm liking uTorrent for the Mac a lot! It didn't evolve by accident or whimsy.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bringing this up again... I wonder if a compact view mode is possible (as in some programs, you have the normal and the compact view). This would be very useful, let's face it, most of the time you only want to see you torrent's progress and the current speed. The transmission GUI is good at that.

µTorrent is great, and the interface is great (leaving aside some issues I have with the details/info view), just too big at times. What I do now is leave it in a different space/desktop than the rest, and switch to that space when I open it. Otherwise, it clutters my 13" Macbook.

Archived