Ability to move Data Files from uTorrent - avoid seed re-importing

Simes

It's nice to be able to move the data files via the torrent client.

In my case I usually move data to another drive with a better directory hierarchy (mostly after download, but sometimes near the download end), and am able to continue seeding without re-importing. I usually "consume" the torrent file on download also, which makes re-importing a pain.

Neither are Git or SVN, but there is obvious cause to move files at VCS level too!

Basically the torrent metadata needs changing, which is clearly not the resposibilty of a file manager - it's uTorrent's job. At some point uTorrent has to be involved in a data relocation use case, and it makes sense for uTorrent to be in the driving seat, delegating to file management code, instead of burdening users with post-move fixing of data location / re-importing.

Mac's Finder, since you mention file managers, also takes this approach - Finder needs to update Spotlight indexes etc, and this metadata gets screwed if you use Terminal commands directly. Again, there is a good reason to provide higher level implementations and abstractions, where functionality can be executed with full awareness of specific operational dependencies.

In Azureus this was done with "Advanced > Files > Move Data Files", and Transmission has it under "File > Move Data". Longer term seeding is a chore without this, and I would be surprised if this is not in the Windows version of uTorrent, though I can't remember it.

Since you mention Transmission and that "Move data file to" option, which I've happened to use both before and after downloading a torrent's data... it's useful. Doesn't mean I would want it in uT.

What you say makes sense, so is the information regarding the opposite view. :) In the end it's up to popular opinion/persistence and the decision of the dev team :)

In all cases, I perform all maintenance with mass moves through http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 .dat file layout doesn't differ between versions :D (too many mouse clicks make my fingers sore)

Just had a look around in the Windows version of uTorrent, and I see that the uTorrent part of a two phase move is supported via "RMB > Advanced > Set Download Location".

Since non Windows specific features are to be considered on the to-do list for the Mac version, I have no doubt it will get ported over when it makes sense to do so.

The uTorrent team seems to hit the sweet spot on what gets included in the client, whereas Transmission are so obsessed by combatting "Not Invented Here" syndrome that they fall prey to something akin to "Won't Be Invented Here" - an unrealistic pretence that missing features are / should be seamlessly provided for by some other piece of software out there, which doesn't exist or is junk :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the link thelittlefire, that editor looks interesting! I'm totally stoked that this Mac beta is available :D

Hmmm, poking at Transmission's App Support folder, their analog for resume.dat is Transfers.plist, which is an XML file. . . due to the layout it is easier to edit that file format instead of the bencoding of uTorrent's DAT files. I don't know, thinking more and more it seems like a pretty "easy" task then again, when easy tasks are automated it only inculcates more laziness."Give a man a fish" as the parable says...

Agreed about the team's desire for feature completeness... uT's not called the lightweight feature-filled client for nothing :D uT/Mac will follow in their footsteps given patience.

Archived