uTorrent Mac simply not working

iwasnevy

SO glad to finally have uTorrent available for the mac platform! Thank you!

But I have one problem - it simply is not working. I had 3 torrents gonig, err, not going. I opened the torrents in transmission and they all started transferring just fine while utorrent wasn't able to find any peers. Here's a screenshot.

I'm really not interested in troubleshooting unless it's a known issue that's easily fixed - I'll continue to use transmission. I just wanted to give the developers this feedback.

btw, as long as I'm here, anyone have any idea why torrents on a mac go so slowly? I can download the same torrent on a windows machine and it'll fly at broadband speeds. This speed difference is even seen in a torrent client running in windows in parallels side by side with a torrent client running in the MAC OS environment. I spent considerable time awhile ago trying to figure this out. I absolutely, no doubt about it, narrowed it down to the operating system.

screenshot.jpg

I have a problem similar to this, But it doesn´t seem to get any info on my connection at all, hence grey inidicator instead of your orange one.

But otherwise it´s the same, get info from tracker with seeders/peers but doesn´t connect to any of them. tried every firewall setting there is, plugged straight into my modem so its not a router problem either.

Are uTorrent and Transmission on the same port? If so, that would be why uTorrent isn't working. It needs its own port to work.

Or, are either of the other two torrents on a private tracker? If so, they may have to whitelist uTorrent for Mac before you can connect to the tracker to get peers.

I don't know if they're on the same port, but utorrent was trying to download long before I opened transmission and tried, so if they can't share the same port, utorrent would have already had the port busy when opening transmission.

But I think I found my problem. In prefs, under network, I had to choose "automatically map port (using NAT-PMP or UPnP)" - then the torrents started coming through. ( Might be worth noting that I am behind a gateway that's using NAT.)

but man, are they slow - we're talking 100kb/sec at best, and that's on a torrent with 4156 seeds and 1195 peers! But as I stated earlier, this is consistent with my torrent downloading experience on a mac - I've never been able to get more than 150kb/sec, (maybe 180 if i play with the up/down speeds a bit) when in windows, and using the same torrent file, on the same connnection, even on the same machine running in parallels, the sky's the limit for transfer speeds - using any windows torrent client. Now THAT'S the problem that I'd really like to get to the bottom of!

As far as the orange connection indicator, in that same tab in prefs, I can specify the incoming TCP port or make it randomize. The orange means 'no incoming connections' I've been playing with this a little bit, and out of curiosity, set it to use port 80 (I know, it's for html) and got a red indicator saying "Listen error".

So I guess the question is, what is the incoming port/range that utorrent uses? If I knew the range, I could try forwarding it to see if that speeds up performance.

ok, i pretty much have the same problem...i have the same grey indicator, but it says that I have no peers..two of them are from demonoid...but the other one isn't....it'll download on vuze, but not uTorrent or Tomato...any ideas?? ive randomized the ports a few times...turned using NAT and UPnP on and off...nothing, no change....im really new to torrents, so any help is welcomed as well =)

Ok so I'm new at this whole uTorrent thing, because I have mac i've just been using Limewire. I love that we now have uT for Mac. However, I was able to download uT but I can't get it to open. Am I supposed to download something else to open it? It's in my applications but I can't get it to open. Some help for a rookie? thanks =)

• 2 years later...

I had this same problem for weeks. uTorrent wouldn't connect and the ETA remained infinity, so I played with a few things. I got my torrents to start working after I enabled encryption.

Click on that yellow dot in the lower right corner of uTorrent.

The Preferences will come up, check randomize port during launch

Click on BitTorrent and select Force for Outgoing Encryption

After that, my torrents began to work very well, even though the yellow thing became red :D

• 1 year later...
I already did that and it's already in my Applications in the Macintosh HD, but when I double click on the actual uT application icon it doesn't open.

I have the same problem. When I click on the application the light comes on for a few seconds but then nothing happens. I am on OS X 10.6.8 and my version of uT is 1.8.0, does anybody know why this is happening?

I have a problem similar to this, But it doesn´t seem to get any info on my connection at all, hence grey inidicator instead of your orange one.

But otherwise it´s the same, get info from tracker with seeders/peers but doesn´t connect to any of them. tried every firewall setting there is, plugged straight into my modem so its not a router problem either.

This is what happens to me. If I unistall torrent and then reinstall it connects. But only for a short while. then I have to do it again. Really bugging me and no one here bothers to answer each time I ask

Archived