Takes Ages to exit uTorrent Mac

ebleir

just a quick note,

when i wish to close the program it takes at least 5 minuets to close, even after i use the force quit command it still takes at least 2 minuets to close.

i am currently running MAC OS X 10.5.5 i have 4GB of DDR2 Ram and am running intel core 2 duo @ 3.20 GHz.

if you need any more info just ask

thanks 8D

• 4 weeks later...

µTorrent doesn't exit in a second on Windows. It sometimes takes a few seconds, and if bt.graceful_shutdown is enabled, it can take even longer. If you want to ensure that data integrity (both on the tracker and on disk) are maintained, you're going to need to allow the client time to get it right.

The easiest solution is to stop all transfers BEFORE attempting to shut down µtorrent!!

Never had trouble shutting down µtorrent when doing that. Of course, I'm a long-time computer user and it just seems like common sense.

Any well programmed network application (Linux, Win, Mac, wtfe) will take time to shut down if it has to write to disk and close connections. Or it could be like the older (c. 2001) versions of Shareaza that'd just shut down immediately and your network would remain flooded for a few minutes because it was still receiving pings and req's.

If the seasoned mac user thinks taking seconds to close both a disk- and network-intensive app is bad juju... make a dialog "Closing network connections... stopping disk jobs" so they can't say "omg it's liek sooo frozen"

Yes, that is a current "workaround" bizzyb0t. But really there isn't much that can be done except make it CLEAR to the user.... nothing is wrong, you wanted to do stuff, uT cleans up after itself ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

ya know, i luv these guys "long time user" etc.... I have waited today , for at least 30 minutes, AFTER all downloads were completed and NO uploading going on. There is absolutely no network activity nor does anything resembling uTorrent in the activity monitor there to force quit..... OH YAYYYYY, it has finally quit as I write this after almost 45 minutes. To those who think this in any way is closing connections or writing to disc, or "cleaning up" I beg you to get help.

THIS IS A BUG that needs to be fixed BUT obviously WILL NOT due to the demise of PPC processors.

IT HAS BEEN TWO YEARS and STILL this issue obviously has only been addressed with dialogue from those who do not see there is an issue and rhetoric that is really nothing but conjecture.

YES I HAVE BEEN VERY VERY PATIENT

THIS ISSUE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY PROBLEM ON MY WINDOWS/INTEL CHIP laptops/pc

12+ years on PPC

and over a dozen Macs

AND have wrote applications

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all.

Same here. I´ve just update to 1.5.11 (25801), stop and remove two files I was uploading, and after that I close utorrent and it gets "quitting" for a while, but after some minutes I need to force quit.

This never happend in previous versions. I mean, you simply stop and quit et voilá, utorrent quits instantly.

Archived