Jump to content

Upgrade from Xp to Vista - settings / stats not working?


Sk93

Recommended Posts

I recently upgraded my machine from XP to Vista SP1, which involved a reformat inbetween.

Not wanting to loose my ratio and other settings from uTorrent, I read all the posts I could find here and the migration guide on the main site about what I needed to do.

So, I backed up the entire %AppData%\uTorrent folder to an external hard drive,

moved all completed and uncomplete torrent folders to another drive and then reformatted.

I've now re-installed uTorrent, but can't get it to "see" my backed up data.

This is what I've tried:

1: Installed uTorrent (latest version)

2: Copied all files from my backup of %appData%\uTorrent to c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

3: Started uTorrent and was prompted for speed settings, which I set

4: Checked statistics page and preferences page - my stats and prefs were NOT there.

5: Closed uTorrent and cleared ALL files from c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

6: Started uTorrent and set speed again.

7: Set some preferences (completed download folder) and closed uTorrent

8: Noticed settings.dat appeared in c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

9: Copied settings.dat from my backup to above directory, overwriting existing file

10: Opened uTorrent and checked settings - still my settings aren't there.

11: Closed uTorrrent

12: Copied all my backed up files back into c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent

13: started uTorrent again and checked - still nothing.

What am I missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you mean the "download" location and "completed torrent" locations?

no..

these were always D:\Dowloads and g:\zz_LIVE_zz respectively.

If you mean the %appData% folder, then yes.. they are in different locations between XP and Vista

("c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\uTorrent" & "c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent" respectively)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

@ Sk93

Assuming you have installed uT (in Vista) at place (path) D and the .dat files are in path c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent called C

Try following steps after having closed entirely uT (not only minimized to tray):

1) Check if in C you can see at least these files: settings.dat, resume.dat, dht.dat and rss.dat (+ ev. ipfilter.dat). I don't recall now whether the help file utorrent.chm is also there after normal setup or not... If yes delete all the other files, if not delete all. If needed move the (new) utorrent.chm file to the location D.

2) Go to D and you should see the uTorrent.exe (as well as the help file mentioned above). Take the backup files with the names I mentioned above and copy them in the directory D where the uTorrent.exe file is.

3) Start uTorrent and you should at least have your old settings and probably a populated job list. Also in the log tab you should see "NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that". This is a so called encapsulated installation. See help file.

NB: From now on you should backup all the files in the D location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ BlueDragon

Thanks but this wasn't the fix needed; It actually turned out to be a virus scanner application that was refusing to let uTorrent read the copied-in files.

I resolved it by initially granting the files animity from the virus scanner.

I then eventually worked out the dodgy file permission (owner was corrupt) and resolving this resolved the main issue.

I have no idea what caused the bad owner permission (it wasn't a virus), nor why this would cause the virus scanner to completely block access to the files for only uTorrent (notepad etc could open them just fine).

But the issue is now resolved regardless.

Cheers,

Sk93

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...