How many peers, upload slots, and global max number should I set?

joe7dust

I read the guide and there was info on setting the proper upload speed and some other various things, but I didn't see specifically how to determine what to put for: "global maximum number of connections", "maximum number of connected peers",and "number of upload slots per torrent".

It is currently set to 200, 1, and 1 respectively for God knows why. I must have set it to that, because surely such absurd numbers aren't the default settings. Anyways, just taking a wild guess with my 1.2 MB/s down and 100-200ish KB/s up cable connection I would say maybe 50/8/3 or 50/4/2, but I'm sure one of you guys can give better numbers than I could. I play online games so 200 would definitely cause too much lag if I were connected to that many different things and 1 connected peer sounds like a BAD thing for sure.

*edit* One small side-question, why is it that when a tracking site says there are "200 seeders" it says "1 (100)" in the download list? I'd assume that means there are 100 available seeders with uTorrent open and active, and I'm currently connected to 1. If so, why such low numbers? BTW changing the above settings to 50/8/2 instantly helped greatly.

Thanks bud, I used the chart and moved a couple slots down to allow for gaming/browsing and its going faster than before. One more thing, what is this option under queuing: "seed while [default values]" ? It's set to 150% and 0. I just want to make sure files aren't seeded before they have finished downloading, is that how it is now? Oh and I just noticed you didn't mention the part I added later, do you know about tracker-reported seeders versus what uTorrent says and what the # (###) format means?

Archived