Tagging torrents = creating groups

pHghost

Both labels and groups can have colors applied to them if the devs choose it. And displays can generally display 16 million+ colors with dithering.

So while, yes, there is a finite set of colors, the set of colors available exceeds the number of labels one could possibly have. So adding colors to labels is a decent idea. Visual grouping is generally quicker to pick up then Textual grouping is.

I meant 'labels' primarily, like creating a group named "Demonoid" or "Movies" or "Apps", even being able to apply more labels to one torrent.

The possibility of being able to add colors to the labels (like in Gmail where you have 24 different color style options, or maybe even with more customizability) would certainly be a feature greeted positively, and is a good idea, but probably isn't a necessary and priority request right now. I'd rather have the 'labels' fast without the color option than having to wait for the feature to be implemented with the color option. That can be added later.

You can create additional color labels in Transmission, whereas Finder has a limited number (as far as I know). And you can rename the respectful color labels in Transmission if you want. The color is still primary, but the group renaming feature is there to be used if you want to.

For me, text based groups are more effective, you just look and see what each of the groups represents.

This is a great idea and I'm excited to hear that the devs have already made plans to implement this in the near future.

I don't know how feasible or realistic this is, but I can think of a couple of ways that the usefulness of these ;labels/groups could be extended.

Would it be possible, for example, to assign certain attributes on a group-wide basis? Lets say you have a group set up for all torrents from a particular private tracker, and you are trying to balance your ratio on that tracker. It would be great to be able to apply global upload/download bandwidth limits across that entire group. Similarly, I can see the usefulness in prioritising certain groups over others, or setting a whole group to "seed only", or even to have one group auto stop after a ratio of say 1.5 has been reached, for example.

I understand this would complicate matters for the devs so this is just thrown out there as an idea. As I'm not a programmr I'm not even sure how complicated it would be to assign torrent-specific attributes across a whole group (for example to avoid potentially tricky conflicts I would imagine a torrent could only be a member of one group at a time)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived