Seemingly random BSODs with uTorrent 1.8.1 on XP SP3?

Hauser

About 10 days ago I installed uTorrent on my desktop (I normally run it on my server but my server's getting rebuilt) with new settings based on the FAQ, and since then I've been getting daily or worse BSODs while running uTorrent. I originally thought it might be bad hardware so I ran memtest86 for 10 hours with no problems, hardware temps etc. look normal, HDD tests haven't shown anything, full scans with Kaspersky and NOD32 haven't found anything, so I tried turning off uTorrent for 2 days and I didn't get any crashes. Once I fired it up again I had a another BSOD within a few hours, so I'm not sure if uTorrent is the problem, or the load it puts on my WiFi card, or something else. Here's what a couple of the dumps look like:

Dump 1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)

Process Name: utorrent.exe

Image Name: kl1.sys

Dump 2: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

Process Name: utorrent.exe

Image Name: memory_corruption

I was thinking of trying another torrent client but I'm busy with work at the moment and can't really risk too many more BSODs, but if you guys have any ideas or want any info I'm game. I have minidumps for the past 10 or so crashes, HijackThis logs, Belarc Advisor reports, whatever you guys want, let me know and thanks for the best BitTorrent client out there!

Thanks, as soon as I saw that first message I uninstalled it and switched to NOD32, since then I've had a bunch more that seem unrelated to AV:

Dump 1: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)

Process Name: wmiprvse.exe

Image Name: aksfridge.sys

Dump 2: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)

Process Name: System

Image Name: SiWinAcc.sys

Dump 3: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)

Process Name: zplayer.exe

Image Name: wag311n5.sys

Dump 4: BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)

Process Name: System

Image Name: ntkrnlpa.exe

Dump 5: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e)

Process Name: firefox.exe

Image Name: nv4_disp.dll

Dump 6: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (24)

Process Name: ekrn.exe

Image Name: Ntfs.sys

Dump 7: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (24)

Process Name: ekrn.exe

Image Name: Ntfs.sys

These may be all caused by the same thing but I don't really know how to read minidumps other than the !analyze -v command. :\

Well that's what I first thought but I ran memtest and HDD diags etc., no problems, and I haven't had a single crash since I turned off uTorrent a few days ago, running 24/7 with pretty heavy CPU/disk loads playing games, doing some Photoshop and so on.

It seems to me that I don't have a lot of network traffic to this machine when I'm not using uTorrent, could my old wifi card be causing these sorts of problems, especially since I recently tweaked my uTorrent settings according to the FAQ for much higher download rates?

Also, I saw the word "IRQ" in some of these errors so I thought there might be something going on there, and when I check my IRQ setup it seems like a bunch of devices are sharing the same IRQ. This machine's been rock solid for over 3 years but maybe IRQs got changed around when I upgraded to XP SP3 a while back? Either way it seems strange that high-bandwidth devices like my wifi card, sound card and soft RAID controller would be on the same IRQ.

irqml1.gif

Archived