How about prioritizing uploads by number of seeders?

SDSUMarcus01

I realize this is an old thread however I'm using 1.8.3 and queue_prio_no_seeds, queue_use_seed_peer_ratio are both true, however I've never seen uTorrent prioritize seeds in the queue using these factors.

For example as I write this I'm seeding a torrent with a 0.037 ratio (2 seeds, 53 peers), which is the lowest ratio in my queue (and 2nd lowest # of seeders). However if I seed more than the queue limit, this torrent is moved to queued seed status in favor of other (apparently much less needy) torrents.

For many moons I've taken to hand picking torrents to seed - however now that I know these settings exist, is everyone sure this logic is working as it should be? If there are other factors in the equation, are they self-defeating...?

Obviously I'd like to set it and forget it and tend to the most needy torrents automagically, but I've never seen this work before...

Tia

Thanks for the response - I apologize - however as of this am I can't reproduce the problem regardless of high/normal/low priorities, even though I've been watching it do this for months (including yesterday as I wrote the post), so some head-scratching going on over here. I have to conclude there's another factor I missed yesterday - my bad until I can figure it out. Sorry about that.

In which case, I'd convert my inquiry to a possible tweak to the priority logic (if I understand the current logic correctly) - which would be to create a priority torrent status (in the queue) based on a combo config of # low seeders to seed/peer ratio.

Example - I'm currently seeding one torrent with 3 seeds and 22 peers, ratio 0.136, which gets a lower rank than another torrent I'm seeding which has 98 seeds to 723 peers, ratio 0.135. Tested using queue limit config just to be sure about the rank.

In this case I'd think the 3 seeded torrent should get higher priority due to its proximity to 0, even though it's ratio is higher.

So the control to config it for example, first priority given to torrents where seeds < X (eg 10) && ratio < Y (eg 0.333), and then 2nd priority for all other torrents, using just ratio.

Just for my own curiosity, does the queue priority logic run only when a terminating event occurs on an active torrent? Eg, seeding limit reached, user stopped etc..? I ask because I assume it could cause chaos (or low efficiency in the swarm) if the queue were re-prioritized frequently on all the clients based on updated tracker reports.

I ask because if that's the case - I still wonder if you could get away with eg a 30m interval to check for the "first priority" config above (low seeds, high ratio, eg desperate) torrents and "only" in those cases switch active seeds in the queue. Kind of a rescue mission. Or 60 min's if 30 is too frequent...

Anyways long post, pardon me while I'm learning about torrents...

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Archived