I don't think I can change port forwarding at work--Should I give up?

btnewbie

I just started in the bit torrent world this weekend, and was able to use uTorrent successfully on my laptop at home (at a very slow download speed, but hey). Now at work, however, I get the dreaded message below, using the same computer:

Error! Port 22868 does not appear to be open.

I read much of the info at www.portforward.com, but I don't have access to the router where I work. I turned off the Windows Firewall to no avail, then turned it back on, allowed uTorrent through the firewall, and added port 22868, but still no luck. Do I have to be content with the slow speed at home via my DSL connection? By the way, I have a Dell XPS laptop which is running Windows Vista Enterprise (in case it matters).

well i get very fast speeds through my dsl at home, relatively speaking. 100 kB/s normally.

as for your work situation, you might find a reason for them to forward a port on the router to your computer or otherwise find a common port that is used for lots of things and try setting it to that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I downloaded Advanced Port Scanner v1.3, and found that there are only three ports open to me. I tried each of them in uTorrent, but got the same "does not appear to be open" message. So I guess I will give up on downloading at work, where I have a very fast network, and stick to home use . . .

So how do I torrent without port forwarding? For example, uTorrent says the status is Downloading, but both Down Speed and Up Speed are blank. At the bottom of the screen, the triangle says something like "no incoming connections" and that I should check my network configuration. I'm not sure how to do that.

I have since completed steps 1 to 5 at http://utorrent.com/setup_guide.php, and my test worked with slackware-10.2 (638 MB). Now that I'm logged in to btjunkie, however, my torrent is once again just sitting there in uTorrent (as described above) and the triangle says "no incoming connections." How come the test worked but the "real" one did not?

Not that this is a burning issue or anything, but I've given up using uTorrent at work, and become content with downloading at home via my Comcast DSL connection. One recent evening, I was shocked to see the download speed above 300 (normally it's averages less than 100). Thanks for the feedback . . .

Archived