1.4 Trouble

ferjer

Hey all,

I've switched to utorrent from some others staring at v1.2. I have never had any problems with utorrent until 1.4. I've noticed that others are having the same problem with our routers dropping connections. I have followed all the suggestions with no success. The following are the results from the speed test.

2006-01-15 03:39:17 EST: 6009 / 347

Your download speed : 6009 kbps or 751.1 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 347 kbps or 43.4 KB/sec.

Why are we having trouble with 1.4? My router has done an excellent job till now, but some are suggesting that it could be my router.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ferjer

Turning off DHT allows my crappy Zyxel modem (built in router) to stay connected. I also have to lower connections to 40 per torrent, 100-150 global max connections, and 2 upload slots per torrent. Your internet connection is faster than mine so you might be able to go slightly higher. Start low and work your way up until your connection no longer dies.

I have not a clue. DHT in BitComet causes my connection to die also. DHT works fine for me in Azureus, but that isn't worth having my memory raped. I don't know what it is, maybe we have cheap modems/routers and DHT requires too many connections or something. My Zyxel modem (built in NAT router) disconnects if I set any p2p program(emule or any bittorrent client) to make too many connections. Again I can set the highest max connections in Azureus without my modem disconnecting, but those extra connections aren't worth the cost in memory. I still max out my download/upload speeds set in the client without those extra connections. Mines is like 40 connections per torrent, 100-120 global max connections, and 2 upload slots per torrent. As long as DHT is turned off, it'll ride like that forever.

See this thread also: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=4715

Imho 1.4 is a crappy version. It has some nice features(like selecting the parts to download BEFORE the download starts), but on the other side it tends to crash or even overload the router which results in serious connection problems.

I don't know which of the improvements are at stake here, but it must be about how new connections are made. An app like utorrent must be compatible with most of the current hardware(-> routers) and software (-> firewalls), and if it's not then the developers missed the goal to spread utorrent and make it the no1 bt client of choice

I say, make utorrent opensource and we can all see what's happening. Or just fix the problem. ;)

Until then -> back to 1.3

Too bad that your hardware sucks. Lower your settings to accomodate it. The main change is that it actually USES the value you put in net.max_halfopen now, so of course this overloads a lot of crummy hardware (and hey, the advanced settings say DO NOT MODIFY, so you did it at your own risk)

Too bad that your hardware sucks. Lower your settings to accomodate it. The main change is that it actually USES the value you put in net.max_halfopen now, so of course this overloads a lot of crummy hardware (and hey, the advanced settings say DO NOT MODIFY, so you did it at your own risk)

So it seems utorrent developers decided to move a step ahead with 1.4 and make it incompatible with crummy hardware. Well, please explain it a bit further, what requirements does a router gotta have to be "uncrummy hardware"? I feel odd asking a question like that really.

But hey, till now there never really was a problem with that, it worked just fine. But why the heck is only 1.4 causing these problems?

This is my suspect:

- Change: Connect a little bit more aggressively to peers. <- What's that supposed to mean anyway?

Since upgrading to 1.4 I have found that it crashes at least once a day for no apparent reason. Has anyone else seen this and have an ideas as to why?

Well, er...... yes!

See this thread: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=4701

Pardon me if don't join with everyone's obsession with "routers."

I think that's a total red-herring, but feel free to spend all your money trying every brand and model available.

Just wanted to drop a question in here to those who might know...........

Does the program store settings or data anywhere other than ~\Application Data\uTorrent ?

The reason I ask this is that v1.3 used to work absolutely fine for me, and for many others from what i've read but after having used v1.4 on this machine v1.3 now has the same disconnect problem.

How could that be?

Has something been changed in the registry or Windows networking settings? :/

Thanks again Firon.

Actually, i'd recommend Blueyonder to anyone.

They're a perfect ISP if there is such a thing.

I can download at 250KB/s everyday, every week, every month, and they never bug me.

Their service has never been down (for me) for an hour in over two years!

(Also I can use any other BT client and they all work fine.)

Admittedly, they aren't quite so generous with the quality of their hardware but that old Motorola SB copes with everything else.

I've never had a single issue with it until this version of µTorrent.

Hey all,

My last post stated that I no longer had dropped connections. Well, I was wrong. I have countinued to make adjustments with no success. I'm moving back to v1.3. Hopefully these issues will be addressed with future versions. I've been a big fan of utorrent.

I still haven't tried out the beta. Any word on it, has anybody who was having trouble had better luck keeping their connection alive with the latest beta? I got my connection to keep by shutting off DHT and lowering max global connections and max connections per torrent, so I'm not in too big a hurry to try the beta.

Archived